cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonescloud
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

BT Cloud Insert Public Link in Word Document

I want to be able to copy and paste a public link for a document in my cloud into a Word document as a hyperlink. I have not been able to get this to work. The link works fine if its in an email but not in the Word Document which just sends me to the cloud and a message saying "You have been on this page too long..........."

Thanks

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
srpsrp
Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: BT Cloud Insert Public Link in Word Document

so presumably when you click the link in Word it's opening in a different browser from when you click in the email ? 

Post the link here, that might help ?

0 Ratings
tonescloud
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Thansk srpsrp

Normaly I have Chrome as my default browser in my Windows 10 PC. I have tried changing the default browser to Explorer and Edge and both the Word Link and the Outlink EMail Link to my BT Cloud open in whichever browser I have chosen. However the problem remains the same only the EMail Link accesses the documents whereas the Word Link gets the error message I described before. I have tried pasting the link in Excel and its the same as Word. I have lots of other hyperlinks in my Office documents and they all work except thsi one to a Cloud document.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 4 of 22

so if you copy/paste the URL from the addess bar is it the same in both cases ? Word has a setting for editing URLs, not sure on your version but the text you click on is probably not the actual link address if you see what I mean.

0 Ratings
tonescloud
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Yes the url is identical and I have checked the edit hyperlink box in Word and I am using the url not a nominated link name.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 6 of 22

have you tried a Shift+reload ? (clears cache I believe)

Do you know how to use the broswers developer tools ? That would be my next step, have a look at the error console/ downloaded resources whilst the page loads. 

0 Ratings
tonescloud
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Shift reload didnt fix it. I had a quick look at the developer tools - not used that before so not really sure I know what I am looking for.Are you able to try on your pc what I am trying to do. I am wondering whether the BT cloud links actually do work from within documents. Certainly if I copy the link from the document and paste it in either explorer or google chrome it works.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 8 of 22

that's why I suggested you to post the link here since it's public any way or create another test file and post that.  I've not actually seen the feature for public documents you are talking about so with out looking into it can not create one. Keep saying it but for something like that google is probably way better, they have online office  tools. I do have word  but I'm on Mac and I'm pretty sure it wont be the same version as yours any way.

0 Ratings
tonescloud
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Thanks for trying to help me but I have decided this is a BT weakness and will use either !. To include a statement in the document that the link has to be copied and pasted into a web browser or 2. Use Dropbox which does allow me to do what I wanted. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

@tonescloud wrote:

Thanks for trying to help me but I have decided this is a BT weakness and will use either !. To include a statement in the document that the link has to be copied and pasted into a web browser or 2. Use Dropbox which does allow me to do what I wanted. 

When you insert the link into Word, does it display as an active link.

Seem to think there’s a setting in Word.

Having said that, BT mail bounced an email of mine showing family photos from a link to a well known site in USA.

It ended in BT Mail spam.

No warning such as “This attachment contains links”.......

0 Ratings