Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonescloud
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 22

Re: BT Cloud Insert Public Link in Word Document

Hi

When you go to the cloud and click on a document or folder it gives a share option. This enables generation of a public link. It specifically says copy and paste into a browser or email. If I do that then the link definitely does work and takes you to the document or folder in the cloud. However if I paste the same link into a word or excel page it creates a live link but when you click that link it does take you to the cloud but shows the following message and not the document or folder.

"You've been on this page for a long time, and have been logged out. Please click your invite link to continue accessing this page"

I do not believe BT cloud links can be activated from within Office documents such as word or excel. Can anyone try this for me on their PC?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

@tonescloud wrote:

Hi

When you go to the cloud and click on a document or folder it gives a share option. This enables generation of a public link. It specifically says copy and paste into a browser or email. If I do that then the link definitely does work and takes you to the document or folder in the cloud. However if I paste the same link into a word or excel page it creates a live link but when you click that link it does take you to the cloud but shows the following message and not the document or folder.

"You've been on this page for a long time, and have been logged out. Please click your invite link to continue accessing this page"

I do not believe BT cloud links can be activated from within Office documents such as word or excel. Can anyone try this for me on their PC?

Thanks

You have explained the situation clearly.

Will give it a try and post back, although this may take a few days, among other tasks in hand.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

@tonescloud

This may sound totally illogical.

But once you get to the message "You have been here too long", or whatever; Right click and select the option "Go to published link."

This will of course be a problem for the recipient.

If you are in doubt, post back.

I have a personal email which is stored on the email server, and can re check at any time.

I can also post to a friend to see what the reaction is, and if her screen gives the same message..

See how it goes and we can raise a query with BT Cloud team.

0 Ratings
tonescloud
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 22

Hi Ribblelancs

When I right click I dont get a "Go to Published Link" option or anything like that

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

@tonescloud wrote:

Hi Ribblelancs

When I right click I dont get a "Go to Published Link" option or anything like that

I did it all from the BT Cloud web application.

There’s an option to go to the link, after right clicking. It works just that one time, but not 30 mins or so later.

You press control +click to access the screen which says that you have been connected too long, etc.

Then you right click.

Later attempts show  that this go to link option is greyed out.

Just hold for a while..........

It works on my iPad email, after 2 hours.

More time is needed to find all the procedures, and then report to BT Cloud Team.

The real test  is what the recipients see.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@tonescloud wrote:

Hi Ribblelancs

There’s an option to go to the link, after right clicking. It works just that one time, but not 30 mins or so later.

You press control +click to access the screen which says that you have been connected too long, etc.

Then you right click.

More time is needed to find all the procedures, and then report to BT Cloud Team.

An update.

The current postion is that the link included in the Word document can be opened on separate devices: iPad, Mobile Phone.

Have even emailed to a separate email server, gmail, on the Mobile Phone, and the link is still valid.

It's only the sending PC which takes you to the "you have been here too long" message.

There's one last check which is to look at the desktop. (A huge Windows 10 update came today, which delays progress!)

Seems that the sending PC tries to take you directly to the BT Cloud application, and all others take you to the web browser, (IE11).

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 17 of 22

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@tonescloud wrote:

Hi Ribblelancs

Then you right click.

An update.

The current postion is that the link included in the Word document can be opened on separate devices: iPad, Mobile Phone.

Have even emailed to a separate email server, gmail, on the Mobile Phone, and the link is still valid.

It's only the sending PC which takes you to the "you have been here too long" message.

There's one last check which is to look at the desktop. (A huge Windows 10 update came today, which delays progress!)

Seems that the sending PC tries to take you directly to the BT Cloud application, and all others take you to the web browser, (IE11).

it could be due to the contstruction of the URL, maybe windows decided to open in Word if the protocol is local, but there is a bug.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

@srpsrp wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@tonescloud wrote:

Hi Ribblelancs

Then you right click.

An update.

it could be due to the contstruction of the URL, maybe windows decided to open in Word if the protocol is local, but there is a bug.

Yes, it looks that is the case.

Unfortunately the desktop pc, on which I tried to check, has decided to update to Windows 10 Fall update. Smiley Mad

Watch this space for the next 2 or 3 hours, at least....or maybe 6 hours to finalise.

It has Office installed on it: other devices have not.

0 Ratings
tonescloud
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 22

Thanks a lot. Will wait and see what happens - windows 10 doing update here as well. We will be luck if it doesnt destry itself!!

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

@tonescloud wrote:

Thanks a lot. Will wait and see what happens - windows 10 doing update here as well. We will be luck if it doesnt destry itself!!

Finally installed the Windows 10 Fall update today at the second attempt, after last Thurdays attempt failed.

Now it's a case of disk cleanup, defrag, and create System Image.

First reaction to your Microsoft Word link is that the link does not take you to the BT Cloud files. The same error is given. It seems that if you have Word installed on the receiving PC, then there's the errror message:- it takes you to the "You have been here too long" message.

I'll finish the admin tasks on the desktop PC (it's taken from 9-00 AM this morning to install the Fall update), and we'll see what the BT Cloud team think.

0 Ratings