cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beastorama
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 143

Re: BT Cloud Mac stops before backup is complete

Having a similar problem - about 90,000 small files.... either uploading then hanging, or after a restart/reinstall/relogin I get a message about the 'home directory' 'There was a problem transerring this file. We will try again once other queued files have transferred. If the problem persists, please contact BT' 

Well, the problem IS persisting, I have contacted BT Cloud team, whose only advise was to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Really BT? Is this the best a company of your stature can come up with? Who signed off on this?
Dropbox works utterly perfectly in the background - why can't this?

I have even renamed any files or folders that had a forward slash in the title (bad practice, I know) because the app was getting confused initially (Dropbox doesn't)

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 22 of 143

I bet we'll have 1TB of 'free cloud storage' by this time next year but this will not have been fixed !

I'm almost so angry I might call, will do it at 3am and talk in pidgin English 

0 Ratings
Beastorama
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 143

I've GOT 1TB of storage with them! Still, not much use if you can't use it.

My friend is a BT engineer (he shall remain nameless) and he says it's widely known that this app is dreadful. There are other ways to 'point' to the provided storage using another app - anyone ever heard of this?

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 24 of 143

It's not just the Mac app though it's the whole thing. I understand gmail and gdrive, it free and it works faultlessly and I've used it for many years. I'm actually paying money for BT cloud though and it's faulty, frustrating, confusing, poorly designed and nothing like giving me any confidence that a backup solution should do. 

The most annoying thing is that the people who put this solution together probably lease cloud space from the same big data companies who do the cloud storage apps that work properly.

0 Ratings
mattwhiting
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 143

@Siudare Nice idea with Automator and iCal, and I was considering something similar with cron jobs but this is really the sort of heath-robinson stuff we're all paying to avoid!

That said, @BeastoramaI'd like to know how else you can point to the storage. I was using rsync to back up to a network share, and know my way around Amazon S3 buckets for example, so if there's a way to use BT Cloud in a similar way, I'm happy to do the geekwork!

Lastly, @JohnC2, you asked me to send you my details, giving hope of a solution, and I did this, but no reply. Nothing! Is this what BT offers now? I had such hope for you. Come on, @JohnC2, be a hero to all of us.

0 Ratings
Siudare
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 143

Automator and iCal solution is still working. Backed up 150gb so far. Tested interrupted music files and play back fine. But I’ve decided to ditch it and go to pCloud. BT just doesn’t leave me with a warm feeling that they care at all about my data so it’s not for me. I also got a new problem on the app where every time I look in the transfer q it crashes. Have reinstalled and it made no difference. Shoddy to say the least. Good job I’m getting to 76mb download speed I pay for, oh, err, wait a minute, I only get 52.5mb - just enough to keep me over the minimum threshold before they breach their t&c’s - coincidence that isn’t it 😡
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 27 of 143

Hi @mattwhiting Sorry that there has been no update on this problem since we spoke on the 8th. I have sent a further email to the Cloud team to chase an update and will let you know as soon as I hear back.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
smurfy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 143

I've just swithed to BT Infinity so thought it was time to make use of BT Cloud backup since I now have a practical upload speed, and am paying for it.   My issue brought me here...

I am having the exact same problem with the MacOS app.  I've defined a backup of my photos folders (approx 200Gb & 20,000 files) and it just hangs/freezes approx every 30-60 mins (the time frame seems variable).  

My simple workaraound is to come back to my desktop and spot the app has ceased uploading, disconnect from my account, and then login again, which recommences the upload.  And repeat....  and repeat...   and repeat...

As others have said, clearly not a practical solution!   I'm questioning if it's going to prove a practical means to duplictae my files off-site.

0 Ratings
Jazzer52
Beginner
Message 29 of 143

Uploading music to BT Cloud

I now have 1000GB of BT Cloud storage since upgrading my phone line to Infinity and I want to make full use of it. I am a Mac user and I have a large music library in my iTunes of about 350GB. I want to upload my entire library to BT Cloud so that I can access it wherever I am. Can someone please tell me what is the best method for uploading this amount of music?

I have tried uploading via the Mac BT Cloud app following the Music/Find Music/Upload route. This seemed to work at first but after 5-10mins it froze. I persevered, restarted the app and the upload resumed but then it happened again and again and again. Sometimes the app freezes, sometimes it crashes. After one crash the upload did not resume but started again from scratch. It is quite frustrating. I have now succeeded in uploading 22GB of music but it is very labour intensive. My experiences of other Cloud storage, such as iCloud and DropBox, are that you set off an upload and it continues until it's complete.

I don't have the highest regard for the Mac version of the BT Cloud app. I find it clunky and somewhat illogical but I would very much like to be proved wrong. Please tell me what I am doing wrong and how I can achieve my aim in a fast and efficient way.

0 Ratings
MBordewich
Beginner
Message 30 of 143

I am having the same problem too: trying to backup a folder with 120GB of photos in it, but it stalls after every 2GB or so.

Anyone I can send my details to to get it 'looked into', or is there no point?

There are lots (1,000s) of messages in the system log similar to:

Nov 15 22:27:17 Magnuss-Mini-home-2 BT Cloud Sync[663]: Unknown error calling sqlite3_step (10: disk I/O error) rs
Nov 15 22:27:17 Magnuss-Mini-home-2 BT Cloud Sync[3314]: Unknown error calling sqlite3_step (10: disk I/O error) rs
Nov 15 22:27:17 Magnuss-Mini-home-2 BT Cloud Sync[663]: Unknown error calling sqlite3_step (10: disk I/O error) rs

and there are lots of 'hang' reports in the console, which start along the lines of the following (although they are much, much longer...):

Date/Time: 2017-11-15 21:17:40 +0000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.12.6 (Build 16G1036)
Architecture: x86_64
Report Version: 25

Data Source: Stackshots

Command: BT Cloud
Path: /Applications/BT Cloud.app/Contents/MacOS/BT Cloud
Version: 17.1.7.9 (17.1.7.9)
Parent: launchd [1]
PID: 9409

Event: hang
Duration: 4.49s (process was unresponsive for 14 seconds before sampling)
Steps: 45 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model: Macmini6,2
Active cpus: 8

Fan speed: 2751 rpm

--------------------------------------------------
Timeline format: stacks are sorted chronologically
Use -i and -heavy to re-report with count sorting
--------------------------------------------------

Heaviest stack for the main thread of the target process:
45 start + 1 (libdyld.dylib + 21045) [0x7fffc4253235]
45 main + 34 (BT Cloud + 811762) [0x1052642f2]....

0 Ratings