Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
powellj3
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

BT Cloud: Unknown Error on large files

Hi,

After leaving my Mac on for two weeks I've brought down my files to be processed from 26,000 to around 50.  Those left are videos and can be as big as 3-4Gb each.  

The trouble is all along I have seen a large number of files failing with "unknown error" in the transfers record.  I wasn't too bothered when these were 10Mb jpegs because they simply got picked up next time.  But now it is the video files it is becoming a right royal pain.  Because some of these files may upload for 30 plus minutes and then fail.  Time and time again.  

This is using a huge amount of bandwidth up and wasting a lot of machine time.

Two questions...

1) how do I find a useful error message on my Mac other than "unknown error".  that is completely unhelpful.

2) how do I fix it?  

As it stands I can never be sure what is and is not backed up.

Thanks

Jonathan

by the way.  to save a certain type of reply.  I back these files up locally as well.  I also want to have them backed up to the cloud.  Primarily because I have paid for 500Gb and have the right to use it.  But more reasonably, I may wish to access the files when away from home and desire the security (in availability terms if not confidentiality)  of a cloud solution.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
NeilO
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT Cloud: Unknown Error on large files

@powellj3 I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your BT Cloud service, @JoeV our cloud expert may be able to help you with this when he's next on the forum.

0 Ratings
powellj3
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

@JoeV happy to receive a call from you.  Look me up on the internal directory.

thanks

j

0 Ratings
JoeV
Retired BT Expert
Message 4 of 20

Hi @powellj3,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! So I can look into this, can you confirm the following details:

1. Could you let me know what version of Mac OS X you're using?
  2. Have you noticed any connection between these 'unknown errors' and other activity that uses your BT ID (for example, do the errors start appearing after you log in / log out of your @btinternet.com email address, or after watching BT Sport)? Or is it just random?

Thanks,

Joe 

0 Ratings
powellj3
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

My MAC is a new model desktop fully patched with the latest OS.

the machine has the Cloud software start at log in.  It starts in a logged in state.i've left the machine running for a fortnight and managed to copy ~ 23,000 files.  Mainly jpegs.  It would skip a number in for a few minutes every. Ow and again, but would soon get back on course.  No great shakes because the network bandwidth was good and eventually it would retry the skipped files.

so, after a considerable time it eventually finished the jpegs and got on to the videos.  An assorted collection of any old form of video format, mpegs, MP4 VoB and so on. But all massive up to 1.3Gb.  

Therein lies the problem.  They take 30 odd minutes to upload.  But they keep on failing with unknown error.  Because they are so big they keep on dropping out.

regards

jonathan 

0 Ratings
JoeV
Retired BT Expert
Message 6 of 20

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the additional info. Can you let me know if you've see any correlation between when the Unknown Errors appear and other activity using your BT ID (like logging in to / out of BT Email, BT Sport, etc)?

Can you also confirm your Mac model and OS X version of your machine (you can find this by clicking the 'Apple' icon in the top right hand side of the screen, then clicking 'About this Mac'.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Ratings
powellj3
Contributor
Message 7 of 20

I have BT Sport but seldom watch it.  I have not noticed any tie in with mail failing.  I'm on IOS 10.12.3

Regards

Jonathan

0 Ratings
dolman
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

Is anyone close to resolving this issue?

Having the same problem over and over again uploading a large .mov video file.  On a Mac Pro, up to date OS 10.12.4

Looks like i'll be heading back to DRopbox soon...

0 Ratings
powellj3
Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Apparently JoeV says they are working on a fix and will let me know when it is released.

in the meantime I've uninstalled it 

also raised the issue that the system constantly re-backs up files if time machine is configured.  

0 Ratings
JoeV
Retired BT Expert
Message 10 of 20

Hi @dolman,

Welcome to the forums, and sorry you've been having trouble!

I'm hoping to have a beta version of BT Cloud for Mac ready next week which will address this issue. If you'd like to try it out as soon as it becomes avaialble then you can post on this thread to become a beta tester for BT Cloud.

Assuming out beta testing goes well, I'd expect to publish the update to all users at some point next month.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Ratings