cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 741 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud - Selective Download

@GeoffSmithwrote:

I've at last got Selective Download to "work", but the method is so convoluted that I'd have difficulty explaining it. It's even worse than I contemplated in post 734. Cannot believe most users will readily cope with the rigmarole.

I say "work" because only a test directory, with empty sub-directories has downloaded, whereas the originals each contained a jpeg. This is evidently the same server side problem that afflicts takeouts from the BT Cloud Web interface.

You have got your test directory to work, but more importantly do you remember what your Original Directory was and will that work too?
JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 742 of 1,226

Re: BTcloud

I know that you are concerned about the Back up, but I just realised that the Error Messages that you are getting when you try to Sync.  Can you go back to the same screen, but move from Back up to Sync and confirm back to me that your screen looks like this:

JTS1 - the only differences are that between the tick in a blue box and the words "Enable BT Cloud sync", I have a cloud in a blue box (you have something that looks green) and my wording below says C:\Users\Richard|Documents\BT Cloud

0 Ratings
Message 743 of 1,226

That is interesting, I'll try to bottom out why you have a cloud in a Blue Box.
Can you tell me also whether there is a typo in this:
C:\Users\Richard|Documents\BT Cloud and should there be a backslash after Richard, or is the bar intentional.
JTS1
0 Ratings
Message 744 of 1,226

@JTS1wrote:

@GeoffSmithwrote:

I've at last got Selective Download to "work", but the method is so convoluted that I'd have difficulty explaining it. It's even worse than I contemplated in post 734. Cannot believe most users will readily cope with the rigmarole.

I say "work" because only a test directory, with empty sub-directories has downloaded, whereas the originals each contained a jpeg. This is evidently the same server side problem that afflicts takeouts from the BT Cloud Web interface.

You have got your test directory to work, but more importantly do you remember what your Original Directory was and will that work too?
JTS1

I can't now recall which directory I originally tried, but it certainly wasn't Documents, Pictures or Desktop as I only backup lower level directories.

I'm intending to try a larger directory, in a disposable VM just in case, but as yet can't sign in.

I got the impression that you also had Selective Download working. If so, did you find the method complicated?

0 Ratings
Message 745 of 1,226

@GeoffSmithwrote:
@JTS1wrote:

On my Back Up Preferences, Documents, Pictures and Desktop all have Selective Download and it works too.  Storage Mapping is also available. 

JTS1

@GeoffSmith   wrote:

That's very useful to know! Documents, Pictures and Desktop are evidently the "Default" directories referred to in the Guide, all of which I had deleted from the Backup options. 

Having removed all my Backup options and re-entered them I do now get Selective Download on all of them ! And the radio buttons now work.

False optimism, unfortunately. For me, Selective Download doesn't survive the Save. Example :-

1.jpg

IF it's not meant to, that would mean having to remove a directory from the list, reselect it (to get the Selective Download option) and then execute the Download without  doing the Save. That would be so clumsy and tedious that I cannot believe that anyone would even think of designing it that way.

Which only seems to leave (a) a bug - i.e. the Selective Download should survive the Save, or (b) I've misunderstood how Selective Download is intended to work.

Can you please look at my Message 739 and tell me what differences you have on your Sync page compared to the one that I posted.

I have been told by rperc that he has a cloud in a blue box (which doesn't appear in mine) and a different Path address.
JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 746 of 1,226

@JTS1wrote:

Can you please look at my Message 739 and tell me what differences you have on your Sync page compared to the one that I posted.

I have been told by rperc that he has a cloud in a blue box (which doesn't appear in mine) and a different Path address.
JTS1

I retained the existing Sync directory at Setup. The  cloud in a blue box results from there being a .ico (icon) file associated with the directory. In a directory's Properties look at the Customize tab.

Sync.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 747 of 1,226

I note that you have restricted this PC to only sync BT Cloud contents  /Cranleigh & /Docs, are you syncing different BT Cloud contents to a different PC?  For example, a Home PC and a Works PC, which is what this function is for.

Have you tried switching to All contents on your PC?

JTS1

@GeoffSmithwrote:

@JTS1wrote:

JTS1

I retained the existing Sync directory at Setup. The  cloud in a blue box results from there being a .ico (icon) file associated with the directory. In a directory's Properties look at the Customize tab.

Sync.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 748 of 1,226

@rperc13wrote:

I know that you are concerned about the Back up, but I just realised that the Error Messages that you are getting when you try to Sync.  Can you go back to the same screen, but move from Back up to Sync and confirm back to me that your screen looks like this:

JTS1 - the only differences are that between the tick in a blue box and the words "Enable BT Cloud sync", I have a cloud in a blue box (you have something that looks green) and my wording below says C:\Users\Richard|Documents\BT Cloud

Using the bullet switch, have you asked to make All contents to available on this PC?

JTS1 

0 Ratings
Message 749 of 1,226

@JTS1wrote:

I note that you have restricted this PC to only sync BT Cloud contents  /Cranleigh & /Docs, are you syncing different BT Cloud contents to a different PC?  For example, a Home PC and a Works PC, which is what this function is for.

JTS1

I only use Sync as a convenient way to transfer a few files between PCs.

I assumed that All contents meant within the Cloud directory, which would be the same as selecting all (or in this case both) of the directories within \Desktop\Cloud .

0 Ratings
Message 750 of 1,226

@GeoffSmithwrote:

@JTS1wrote:

JTS1

I only use Sync as a convenient way to transfer a few files between PCs.

I assumed that All contents meant within the Cloud directory, which would be the same as selecting all (or in this case both) of the directories within \Desktop\Cloud .

This is what the User Guide says:

Selective Sync Feature

As the cloud storage market evolves, storage quotas are increasing, and users are storing more and more data in the cloud. In some cases, users’ cloud quota may be larger than the available space on the hard drive of their computers. As a result, users need the ability to choose which folders are to be synchronized from the cloud to a given computer.

There are also scenarios where users may not wish certain content to be synchronized to a computer, for example, users may not want personal content on a work computer or work content on a personal computer.

For the reasons above, Synchronoss has added the Selective Sync feature to the Personal Cloud Desktop applications.

With the Selective Sync feature, users can select which folders are synchronized with any specific computer. Syncing folders can be different across all computers on which the Personal Cloud applications are installed.

The Selective Sync feature is found on the Summary screen of the Dashboard. From here, the user is presented with a list of all the folders that sit at the root of the Sync repository in the cloud. Users can select/deselect any of these folders to sync to a computer or can navigate inside a folder to select sub-folders. Any folders that have been selected will sync from the cloud to that computer and a local copy stored on the computer. Any folders that are not selected will not be stored on the computer. If a folder had previously been selected for syncing to a computer and was subsequently deselected, the local copy will be deleted from the computer. The cloud copy will be unaffected.

JTS1

0 Ratings