cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
1,166 Views
Message 1 of 13

BT Cloud does it work on Win 10

The reason I ask, when I had it on XP it just kept crashing my computer so I dumped it.  I now have a new computer running Windows 10 so I was wondering if anyone has had problems with it, if so I'll not bother and stick with Microsoft's version.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
1,153 Views
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Cloud does it work on Win 10


@SpottyDog wrote:

The reason I ask, when I had it on XP it just kept crashing my computer so I dumped it.  I now have a new computer running Windows 10 so I was wondering if anyone has had problems with it, if so I'll not bother and stick with Microsoft's version.


It does work on Windows 10.

However, Windows 10 also has it's own backup solutions. ( Also available on Windows 7 , and 8.1 )

There's a backup to external media available, e.g. To an external hard drive.

Or there's Windows One drive.

It's a choice, which you must make.

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
1,138 Views
Message 3 of 13

Re: BT Cloud does it work on Win 10


@Ribblelancs wrote:

@SpottyDog wrote:

The reason I ask, when I had it on XP it just kept crashing my computer so I dumped it.  I now have a new computer running Windows 10 so I was wondering if anyone has had problems with it, if so I'll not bother and stick with Microsoft's version.


It does work on Windows 10.

However, Windows 10 also has it's own backup solutions. ( Also available on Windows 7 , and 8.1 )

There's a backup to external media available, e.g. To an external hard drive.

Or there's Windows One drive.

It's a choice, which you must make.


Sort of. Quite a few users of Windows 10 have problems with the new BT Cloud. (See the long running saga on the disaster that is BTCloud's new inclination.)

 

I can't get into it at all, with four different machines on Windows 10.

 

Yes, Windows does have a backup routine, but it does not do the cloud. I suspect that that was the point of your question.

 

OneDrive is a different animal from the routine in Windows.

 

 

 

0 Ratings
1,119 Views
Message 4 of 13

Re: BT Cloud does it work on Win 10


@michaelkenward wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@SpottyDog wrote:

The reason I ask, when I had it on XP it just kept crashing my computer so I dumped it.  I now have a new computer running Windows 10 so I was wondering if anyone has had problems with it, if so I'll not bother and stick with Microsoft's version.


It does work on Windows 10.

However, Windows 10 also has it's own backup solutions. ( Also available on Windows 7 , and 8.1 )

There's a backup to external media available, e.g. To an external hard drive.

Or there's Windows One drive.

It's a choice, which you must make.


Sort of. Quite a few users of Windows 10 have problems with the new BT Cloud. (See the long running saga on the disaster that is BTCloud's new inclination.)

 

I can't get into it at all, with four different machines on Windows 10.

 

Yes, Windows does have a backup routine, but it does not do the cloud. I suspect that that was the point of your question.

 

OneDrive is a different animal from the routine in Windows.

 

 

 


I was expecting something stronger in your reply. Smiley Surprised

 

Yes there are many cloud based backup solutions available.

There's a difference between a "backup" and a cloud "drive" which some suppliers are encouraging us to use.

If you look for a new pc, you will find that many of them have only limited drive space, so there's no alternative but to access files away from your base at home from the cloud, or carry a portable hard drive around.

 

It's a choice which you have to make. No one is forcing you to use BT Cloud, for instance.

It's interesting that of the many internet security bundles has a backup feature.... You have a choice of where to back up your files - either to dvd/cd disk or to the cloud.  Apart from the fact that it would cost a fortune to buy 500GB space on their system, it always advises you to use a disk, by preference.

 

I don't know the exact current position on Microsoft OneDrive. It was unlimited space on Office 365 recently.

 

 

 

 

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
1,115 Views
Message 5 of 13

Re: BT Cloud does it work on Win 10


@Ribblelancs wrote:

 

It's interesting that of the many internet security bundles has a backup feature.... You have a choice of where to back up your files - either to dvd/cd disk or to the cloud.

 


Not always. Acronis, for example, produces software that will backup to its cloud, but not to any of the alternatives.

 

And the cost of buying 500GB is hardly a fortune. Think more like £20 a year for Acronis with the software thrown in.

 

I didn't bring up OneDrive. That was you. Now you say you don't know about it.

 

I was trying to deal with the first question.

 

BTCloud might work in Windows 10. It does for some people. It doesn't for others.

 

 

0 Ratings
1,109 Views
Message 6 of 13

Re: BT Cloud does it work on Win 10


@michaelkenward wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

 

It's interesting that of the many internet security bundles has a backup feature.... You have a choice of where to back up your files - either to dvd/cd disk or to the cloud.

 


Not always. Acronis, for example, produces software that will backup to its cloud, but not to any of the alternatives.

 

And the cost of buying 500GB is hardly a fortune. Think more like £20 a year for Acronis with the software thrown in.

 

I didn't bring up OneDrive. That was you. Now you say you don't know about it.

 

I was trying to deal with the first question.

 

BTCloud might work in Windows 10. It does for some people. It doesn't for others.

 

 


I do use OneDrive.

It works, when saving individual files which you have just worked on, and has some sort of folder structure, when used with Office.

If you want to push it to the limit, uploading videos etc, then you can expect just as much trouble as with others.

There were reports of users overloading the system, and talk of limiting the space.

 

Regarding carrying a portable hard drive around, I remember business laptops:- You carried a tiny laptop around with you, with a ton of plugin devices, and brought it back to the office to plug in to a base station, and access the network. In those days internet access at home was limited to dial-up. There was a faster system at work, depending on how many were using it.

 

Newer pc's are directing us to situations such as Murphy in the 1970's who bought a battery wrist watch .... Just as he collected it..."oh, by the way, here's the battery" -  a 2kg lead acid battery.

 

 

 

 

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
1,084 Views
Message 7 of 13

Re: BT Cloud does it work on Win 10


Ribblelancs wrote: I do use OneDrive.

 


Forgive me. I misunderstood your statement:


I don't know the exact current position on Microsoft OneDrive.


I would never advocate using cloud backup as an alternative to local versions. I maintain more backups than is good for me. One to a spare PC on the network, another to an NAS array, and yet another to the cloud.

 

The cloud stuff is especially useful when I am away from the office and want to get at things.

 

BT 'sells' the BTCloud as a way of sharing pictures and stuff. That is a pointless gesture if you can't get at it.

 

 

 

 

0 Ratings
1,060 Views
Message 8 of 13

Re: BT Cloud does it work on Win 10


@michaelkenward wrote:

Ribblelancs wrote: I do use OneDrive.

 


Forgive me. I misunderstood your statement:


I don't know the exact current position on Microsoft OneDrive.


I would never advocate using cloud backup as an alternative to local versions. I maintain more backups than is good for me. One to a spare PC on the network, another to an NAS array, and yet another to the cloud.

 

The cloud stuff is especially useful when I am away from the office and want to get at things.

 

BT 'sells' the BTCloud as a way of sharing pictures and stuff. That is a pointless gesture if you can't get at it.

 

 

 

 


It's 1 TB on OneDrive. (It was unlimited until last November).

Office 365 Home is a subscription product, of course.

 

That's where BT Cloud has the competitive edge, when you have your problem sorted. 

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
1,051 Views
Message 9 of 13

Re: BT Cloud does it work on Win 10


@Ribblelancs wrote:

 

 

It's 1 TB on OneDrive. (It was unlimited until last November).

Office 365 Home is a subscription product, of course.

 

That's where BT Cloud has the competitive edge, when you have your problem sorted. 


 

I know. I have a subscription. It is actually better than that.

 

A "Home" subscriber can sign up five users and each user can have that 1TB.

 

And some of the backup software I use, such as SynchBack, can put stuff up in OneDrive.

 

This is one treason why the BT Cloud is poor. I want to use stuff like SynchBack to get at it. Not the hopeless software that BT has bought in.

0 Ratings
1,044 Views
Message 10 of 13

Re: BT Cloud does it work on Win 10

BT Cloud will be fixed.

 

Glad you have Onedrive.

Sharing files with family and friends is more difficult with Onedrive.

I subscribed to MS Office mainly for up-to-date excel, and powerpoint; the powerpoint is needed for presentations over a projector.

(all usage terms and conditions are covered).

 

 

 

 

0 Ratings