cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 21 of 26

Re: BT Cloud - fshoster32.exe process hogging cpu constantly!!

the conclusion is that BT do not want its customers to use BT Cloud. It saves them money and bandwidth! Storage space is expensive. The poorly coded f-secure product needs a total rewrite. Virginmedia use the same rehashed product and their forums echo all the problems that BT customers are experiencing. As a new customer I gave it a try, after an hour of utter frustration, and my my laptop groaning to a near halt I uninstalled it. The fact that there are superb companies out there that BT could partner with, but don't, shows they are not really serious about providing a cloud service. Shame BT cloud could be so much more.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 26

Hi The oldchap,

I don't know that I agree about BT not wanting customers to use BT Cloud, the obvious thing to do if that was the case would be just to not provide any cloud storage.

I do however fully agree with the rest of your post. I found that it is a clunky poorly written product and is not very intuitive to use and can cause computers to grind to a halt. I also tried it for a while but gave up and uninstalled it. There are better other free cloud storage products available.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 23 of 26

@Theoldchap wrote:

the conclusion is that BT do not want its customers to use BT Cloud. It saves them money and bandwidth! Storage space is expensive. The poorly coded f-secure product needs a total rewrite. Virginmedia use the same rehashed product and their forums echo all the problems that BT customers are experiencing. As a new customer I gave it a try, after an hour of utter frustration, and my my laptop groaning to a near halt I uninstalled it. The fact that there are superb companies out there that BT could partner with, but don't, shows they are not really serious about providing a cloud service. Shame BT cloud could be so much more.

The BT Cloud product could be much more, if the effort was put into it. It's a case of how much effort, and how much time BT is prepared to put into it.

There are many posts on this, and some are quite constructive, in the hope that an improvement will result. In it's present state, BT Cloud is not suitable for data backup, or storage - it's data duplication.

Even if it were to be improved, a  lot depends on whether the home user has the capability of using the Cloud fully - broadband speed is a llimitation, and there is also a basic mistrust of saving information, who knows where, in someone else's data storage equipment.

I have abandoned Microsoft's Sky Drive (or it's new name) for similar reasons. It's expensive and slow, if sending masses of data, but for the occasional file it's good.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 24 of 26

gg30340 I guess you are right if BT didn't want customers to use cloud they just needn't offer it. However 50Gb FREE storage space (worth around £35 per year) is a big selling point and could swing the deal for a prospective customer. If BT then dont have the cost of maintaining it because customers quickly realise it is unuseable, their profits increase. I use a paid for back up service that just works. You set it up and forget it. Surely a company as big as BT has the resources to provide such a service if it chose to do so.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 26

Ribblelancs

There is mistrust of storing data in the cloud. I would not trust google or BT cloud with unencrypted data. Decent commercial backup services allow you to strongly encrypt data AND hold the key yourself. Failing that use boxcryptor or truecrypt.

My BT upload speed at 15Mb/s is perfectly adequate. Large initial backups may take several days though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 26 of 26

Re: BT Cloud fhoster32.exe using all my spare CPU

Has anyone found a solution to the original problem with fhoster32.exe always active?  I have turned off automatic backups in BT Cloud, and deleted all the files in the BT Cloud store, so there should be nothing happening, and there have been no changes in what is stored there for over a week so things should be stable.  Nothing gets put there automatically any more.  When I start up with BT Cloud active. my C: HDD is constantly active so that everything else slows down to a standstill. The CPU is only 5% but nothing happens fast as the HDD is constantly thrashing away.  It has been defragmented etc. and behaves normally if you stop BT Cloud.  When I look in Task Manager > Resource Monitor > Processes with Disk Activity I see fshoster32.exe is constantly active.  If I go to Processes in Task Manager and end the two fs-hoster related processes, the constant HDD access stops and I am back to normal.  Has anyone else here had this issue and if so has anyone found a way to have BT Cloud available, and figured out a less extreme way to avoid this problem?  Many thanks!

0 Ratings