cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

BT Cloud music file sharing problems

Recently decided to make use of BT Cloud to facilitate sharing some large .wav files I generated from a recording session.

Eventually worked out how to get them up onto BT Cloud, shared them in a folder and generated a link.

When attempting to download the files however, no files were available for download by anyone but myself.

After a call to BT Help I was informed that because they were music files sharing was not allowed! (I believe same applies to video files too).

There is a warning pop-up that copyright files are not sharable, but then my files were generated by me so no copyright

involved. Pain in the *ss!!!

Think I've worked around it by zipping the files and uploading them zipped (meant having to zip the files and re-uploading them). I did try just re-naming the files but they were still detected as music files and sharing blocked.

I would complain further but since I have the facility as part of my ISP package and now I have a workaround, I'll let it go but posting this as potentially useful info for others wanting to do anything similar.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Cloud music file sharing problems

The Terms and Conditions of BT Cloud are a bit daft in that respect.  They say "You may not use the service to share content which is copyright protected."

The thing is, if you created those recordings less than 50 years ago, they are still copyrighted - by you.  Since they are copyrighted, you can't share them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

@Ectophile 

Just to add my four pennies worth to this dated thread.

On the basis that nothing appears to have changed.

It's absolutely archaic and victorian in attitude to claim that self-produced music of original origin is copyrighted to the BT Cloud user and therefore cannot be shared with the very musicians that have written and recorded that music.

What a joke!

I have 1TB of BT Cloud space that is pointless if I can't share original music files that I or the musicians I work with own the rights to.

So taking that analogy, all photograghs that I have taken and may upload also cannot be shared as I own copyright to them and therefore they cannot be shared either.....because they are copyrighted.

Similarly, any written document or spreadsheet is also copyrighted to me because I produced it and therefore those  also cannot be shared, because they too are copyrighed work.

So what exactly can one share via this nanny-state service??

....and how does Google Drive, MS One Drive and even YouTube manage to overcome the shackles of this policy?? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

The other services you have mentioned don't care about BT's policy.  It's nothing to do with the law, just an over-zealous way to try to comply with it without BT having to think.

As a copyright owner, you can do whatever you like with your work.  You can hide it away and not show it to anybody.  You can share it with the World, for all to see.  you can release it under an open source licence, or insist that only people with a paid subscription can have it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

@Ectophile 

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, what I am totally mystified by is why I cannot share MY personally copyrighted music files via a BT cloud based service.

You say "The other services you have mentioned don't care about BT's policy.  It's nothing to do with the law, just an over-zealous way to try to comply with it without BT having to think."

Why would Google Drive or OneDrive etc etc care what BT's Policy is? If that's what you mean?

Of course I can do what I like with my own copyrighted work, except store it and share it via BT Cloud with the people I choose.

That is plain ridiculous.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

BT are worried that their customers will share music files illegally using their cloud service, and they are worried that BT will get the blame.  And the lawsuits from disgruntled music publishers.

Their solution is to ban the sharing of all music files, wherever they came from.  It's simple, and it works.  It may mess up your plans to share your music, but they don't really care.  It's just a freebie thrown in with BT broadband.  It's intended for backing up your own files and sharing your photos or videos, not for music.

You asked "....and how does Google Drive, MS One Drive and even YouTube manage to overcome the shackles of this policy?? ".  My answer was that Google Drive, MS One Drive and YouTube don't care about "this policy".  It's not their policy.  I'm not sure about the others, but YouTube has processes in place to detect people sharing commercial music.  It either gets taken down, or the correct rights-holder is identified and they get the advertising revenue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Ok, I get it. 

Such a shame that whilst "only a freebie" thrown in for (in my case) years of loyalty to a service (BT) it must be crippled in this way, especially when it's really not at all clear until you try to share 'illegal files' then after a significant time uploading my own technically illegal material, such file sharing isn't actually possible.

Hence my heading on a similar post here, "what a waste of time".

A classic BT-style policy approach. 

0 Ratings