cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thedon24
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Cloud won't add a folder on F: drive

My Windows 7 client used to work fine but I upgraded to the new version at the weekend, and now not only has the new version lost my previous settings for a backup folder, it won't let me add it back again.

I click the cloud icon then the 'Add folder' button then browse to the folder I want and click 'Select folder' button.

It accepts a folder on built-in drives (C: and D:) but ignores (no error or warning message) a folder on USB external drive F: which is the one I want.

Looks like a failure in regression testing.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a workaround?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Cloud won't add a folder on F: drive

@thedon24 wrote:

My Windows 7 client used to work fine but I upgraded to the new version at the weekend, and now not only has the new version lost my previous settings for a backup folder, it won't let me add it back again.

I click the cloud icon then the 'Add folder' button then browse to the folder I want and click 'Select folder' button.

It accepts a folder on built-in drives (C: and D:) but ignores (no error or warning message) a folder on USB external drive F: which is the one I want.

Looks like a failure in regression testing.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a workaround?

Just a very long shot.

I only have a small number of files and folders in Cloud, as I'm still trying to come to terms with instructions - so far with success, as demonstrated by a recent system image restore. All files were preserved, after uploading them using the web version of BT Cloud. Even backup files were preserved.

It's just possible that if you had the f:/ drive unticked or not connected at some point, Cloud took this as a deletion.

You may just not be able to upload a deleted folder again. You do have problems trying to reload a deleted file.

Have you tried to rename the folder in the f:/ drive?

0 Ratings
thedon24
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Many thanks for the reply.

You could be on to something because I did previously trash the folder and all its contents, although since then I did successfully re-add the folder to BT Cloud (previous client version) and it backed up about half the files before I upgraded the Cloud client.  In hindsight I should have waited until all the files were backe dup before upgrading my software.

I've tried renaming the folder, as you suggest and I've added it to the Picture library and tried pointing Cloud to the folder via that route, but no joy.

I might try uninstalling the Cloud client, and re-installing the previous version if I still have it in my downloads folder.  Worth a shot...

Thanks,

Howard

0 Ratings
thedon24
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Yes, re-installed previous version and it now happily adds my F: drive folder.

Think I'll hold off the upgrade for a while Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@thedon24 wrote:

Many thanks for the reply.

You could be on to something because I did previously trash the folder and all its contents, although since then I did successfully re-add the folder to BT Cloud (previous client version) and it backed up about half the files before I upgraded the Cloud client.  In hindsight I should have waited until all the files were backe dup before upgrading my software.

I've tried renaming the folder, as you suggest and I've added it to the Picture library and tried pointing Cloud to the folder via that route, but no joy.

I might try uninstalling the Cloud client, and re-installing the previous version if I still have it in my downloads folder.  Worth a shot...

Thanks,

Howard

Before reverting the previous BT Cloud version, which I think is what you want to do, try putting a file on a USB stick, and see if Cloud will upload it or perform a backup. Then try all the variations:- delete file on USB stick, untick the folder, etc, try to reload. A USB stick is just another drive, even if it's not a hard drive.

The worst case, which I hope it will not be, is that you would have to rename every single file on the f:/ drive.

Is there anything in the BT Cloud Trash folder?

The newer version of BT Cloud shows a slight improvement: it's just the documentation which is not too clear.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@thedon24 wrote:

Yes, re-installed previous version and it now happily adds my F: drive folder.

Think I'll hold off the upgrade for a while Smiley Frustrated

If it works, leave it for a period, until you have tried the suggestion:- plugging in a USB memory stick.  Unfortunately your reply was delayed, so continuity in the discussion has been lost.

There's something odd about the forums:- this is the second time I've replied to a post recently, where a response has been delayed.

0 Ratings
igsuffolk
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Has this been resolved?

I have just downloaded BT Cloud and cannot add any folder from an external usb drive.

I dont have any previous version.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@igsuffolk wrote:

Has this been resolved?

I have just downloaded BT Cloud and cannot add any folder from an external usb drive.

I dont have any previous version.

Does your BT Cloud show the external USB drive in the listing on the left?

You probably know the following procedure already, but just in case:-

Click on the Cloud symbol at the bottom.

Click on Add Folder.

Scroll down on the left to find your USB connected device.

0 Ratings