cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

BT Cloud

I am finding BT Cloud very difficult to use!  Ideally I would like to use it in the same way as a memory stick. This would enable me to write folders of the same name and structure to the btcloud and then additionally be able to access the files/folders on all my computers. via the internet Also it would be useful if the system gave some warning if a file is about to be overwritten.

So far I have been unable to creat folders except under the synch system?

If you cant creat a folder structure in the btcloud it makes the storage and retreval of thousands of photographs impossible. its like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Anyone else having a simiilar problem or am I using the system in the wrong way?

Regards

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Cloud

@dovelm wrote:

I am finding BT Cloud very difficult to use!  Ideally I would like to use it in the same way as a memory stick. This would enable me to write folders of the same name and structure to the btcloud and then additionally be able to access the files/folders on all my computers. via the internet Also it would be useful if the system gave some warning if a file is about to be overwritten.

So far I have been unable to creat folders except under the synch system?

If you cant creat a folder structure in the btcloud it makes the storage and retreval of thousands of photographs impossible. its like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Anyone else having a simiilar problem or am I using the system in the wrong way?

Regards

I assume that you are using Windows?

There's no simple method of keeping an individual folder structure on BT Cloud - unless someone can enlighten us!

If you have the confidence, you could create a separate zip folder on the PC. You can then create subfolders under this:-

e.g. Jan 2014 pictures.zip, etc., etc. This bundles the files under a subfolder.

There will be little or no compression for jpg or png images.

Also, you will have no image icons for quick reference, and the zip folder will show as "other" in the listing.

You could just try with a small zip (sub) folder to start - say 4 images - send to Cloud, and then add more images to the zip (sub) folder.

Note that this works on the PC version of BT Cloud. Someone, in another post, had problems using the web version.

Also only Windows 7 and Windows 8 will self extract the files.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Cloud

Got exact same problem.

If you want to access the files folders wouldn't you need to have them in the 'Sync' area, so all your devices could see them?

The problem I can see is that you cannot import folders, it is files only, so if you have a large amount of photos (and If like me have them sorted into folders named by date taken) the the only way I can see is to import the photos (say for instance 10 photos taken yesterday), then create a folder with the Cloud Sync area, and move them into it, then repeat for each set of photos in turn. If then I actually want them on my device I would have to download them.

I have just set up some test folders using my laptop, and uploaded a couple of photos and then moved them into the folders. I then accessed the cloud using both my smartphone and tablet, to see what is possible. Not a lot it seems! Whereas on the laptop I can drag pictures between folders in the sync area, (then when I access the same area on my devices they are where I have just put them) I cannot do the same on my devices. I just cannot see how to move files between folders?

Additionally there are issues trying to upload files from my devices, both phone and tablet giving a message that they couldn't open the (whatever) file, be it a photo or music file - not very satisfactory - especially when this is a selling feature of BTs broadband campaign.

So no, I don't think you are suing it in the wrong way, it is just a very unfriendly cloud.

0 Ratings