cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Complete Wifi - PC to Disc Connection Issue

Go to solution

My BT Smart Hub 2 is at the front of the house and I have one of the discs in my office on the first floor at the rear of the house, next to my PC. When the PC is connected to this disc, I get network speeds in excess of 103Mbps; however, the PC will not maintain a connection to this disc and continually reconnects to the hub, reducing the wifi speed to around 20Mbps! If I switch off the PCs wifi, reboot the disc then switch wifi back on it connects to the disk straight away and my >100Mbps is restored, but I shouldn't have to mess about like this every time.

I've tried deleting the network from the PC and reconnecting and it connects to the disc, but after a period of time reconnects to the hub and the speed drops. I don't think this is an issue with the computer, because exactly the same thing happens with my Surface Pro and mobile phone.

The light on the disc is always solid blue, so this isn't the reason for the dropped connection. I can't connect using an ethernet cable, as the PC is a vaio all-in-one and the network card is intermittent and cant be replaced.

I've had BT Whole Home for at least 6 months and this has been an issue from day one. Is there any way to force the PC to stay connected to this disc?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Complete Wifi - PC to Disc Connection Issue

Go to solution

Have you turned off Smart Setup?

If that doesn't work, you could try a factory reset of both the hub and the disc, you will then need to turn Smart Setup off again as it will be restored by the factory reset and pair the disc and hub again

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks Victor. I've turned Smart Setup off and I'll see if it sorts the issue out.
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I've done some more checking and my original assumption was wrong - the computer isn't losing the connection to the disc and connecting to the hub, it's staying connected to the same disc but the disc speed is dropping from >100Mbps to around 20Mbps over a period of about 12 hours, and it does it every day!

I regularly check the speed from a web browser at various times throughout the day and only ever get one of these 2 readings, never anything in between, so I presume this is a step-change rather than a gradual decline. Rebooting the disc brings the speed back to >100Mbps, then by the following evening it's dropped to 20Mbps.

Any idea why this would happen? Anyone else experienced this? Do I need to report this to BT?

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

The factory reset suggestion still stands if you haven't tried it. It can be a pain in the what's it as you have to set the disc up again but it seems to cure all manner of ill's

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

After taking your advice and switching off Smart Setup, the network speed from this disk has been stable for the last 72 hours, benchmarking at between 98 and 105Mbps. I'll keep monitoring it, but it seems to have sorted out the problem - thanks for your help!