cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

BT DNS Issues

Hi Guys

I'm off the Buckley Exchange (01244 54xxxx)

BT DNS is playing up badly this morning. If I change the use google (8.8.8.8) everything works fine.

Your offshore technical support guys insist I go through the motions of rebooting etc which I understand, but the issue is clearly poorly performing DNS.

Any change of someone taking a look and report back please?

Below is an example using the BT supplied DNS IPs and then using Google>>

BT DNS

Stephens-MBP:~ Steve$ dig www.bbc.co.uk @81.139.57.100

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> www.bbc.co.uk @81.139.57.100

;; global options: +cmd

;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Google DNS

Stephens-MBP:~ Steve$ dig www.bbc.co.uk @8.8.8.8

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> www.bbc.co.uk @8.8.8.8

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 22574

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;www.bbc.co.uk. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

www.bbc.co.uk. 41 IN CNAME www.bbc.net.uk.

www.bbc.net.uk. 63 IN A 212.58.244.67

www.bbc.net.uk. 63 IN A 212.58.246.91

;; Query time: 75 msec

;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)

;; WHEN: Sat Mar 11 10:48:00 2017

;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 89

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT DNS Issues

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

All you can do is to see if others posting on this forum are having problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Ah, thanks Keith.

Back to chat with the offshore 'technical' guys then 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@usualsuspect75 wrote:

Ah, thanks Keith.

Back to chat with the offshore 'technical' guys then 😞

I think you would be wasting your time. Why not simply use Google Public DNS, or OpenDNS?

If you do a forum search, you will find lots of posts from people who have had the same issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 8

Yeah 8.8.8.8 is my friend.

Really sucks that the 'technical support' guys can only follow a script and dont even seem to know what DNS is.

Of course it sucks even more that BT can't supply a functioning DNS server in the first place!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

I don`t know what causes these issues, but its a real problem for those people who have BT Protect or BT Parental controls active, as they are forced to use the BT DNS servers.

I use my own DHCP server which issues OpenDNS server addresses, so I do not use the BT ones.

With the OpenDNS dashboard, I can block a lot of domains that simply waste bandwidth, or deliver adverts.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 8

@usualsuspect75 writes:

> BT DNS
>
> Stephens-MBP:~ Steve$ dig www.bbc.co.uk @81.139.57.100
>
> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>
>
> Google DNS
>
> Stephens-MBP:~ Steve$ dig www.bbc.co.uk @8.8.8.8
>
> ;; Got answer:
> www.bbc.co.uk. 41 IN CNAME www.bbc.net.uk.
> www.bbc.net.uk. 63 IN A 212.58.244.67
> www.bbc.net.uk. 63 IN A 212.58.246.91

@Keith_Beddoe writes:

> "I don`t know what causes these issues, but its a real problem for those people who have BT Protect or BT Parental controls active, as they are forced to use the BT DNS servers."

Indeed, that would be a total service outage for the services affected. @usualsuspect75 has made a near-perfect diagnostic fault report, missing only the appropriate timestamp against which the backroom boys need to correlate to account for sysadmin actions and planned maintenance periods.

A response of "We don't know what DNS is" from front-line BT Support is a wholly inappropriate response, and at the very least needs to be supplanted with an additional "but we will pass this fault report to our network and server faults division and are adding this information to the faults log on your account."

When front-line support fails in this major way and the customer is providing a clear actionable fault diagnostic, this is perfect material for the BT moderators to pass along to the appropriate quarter, so I recommend requesting them to do so.

BT DNS is after all a public BT service. There is no question that users must have a mechanism for reporting when it fails to those whose job it is to keep the service up and available.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

I've had a DNS issue for a couple of months so something must have changed at that time. It seems to affect only one webstie but ubfortunately for me this is a website I manage and it's difficult doing this if I cant view the front end. Done everything recommended by tech support and even had a new hub installed 

My question to those refering to using a different server, can you please explain this in laymans terms?...is there a work round so I can at least view my website once in a while as required?

Cheers 

0 Ratings