cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OldGold
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 112

Re: BT DNS problems on .co.uk domains

For what its worth I clicked the link  two minutes ago and it worked fine, on Windows 7

Ray.

0 Ratings
Ashton
Message 12 of 112

Confirming that I have had this issue on many domains, lots of users cant connect to my sites and have been hassled for the last couple of days about it, could this be DNSSEC related?

0 Ratings
apexweb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 112

I have also had loads of calls from customers who cant see our websites which are hosted with rapidswitch and also datacenta (bournemouth) All the calls have been from people who use either BT Broadband or Virgin Media who are making changes to their dns systems.

On my own connection at home I couldnt access many sites with a .co.uk domain until i updated my routers dns settings to use the dns servers provided by Open DNS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Desktop
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 112

Hi

I run a small web development company. many of my customers are on BT or Virgin so have reported problems getting email and onto their web sites. Although it's not within my grasp customers naturally don't understand and tend to think the server is at fault.

After spending 3 hours on the phone to BT with no useful outcome I contacted all clients on BT and offered to either reconfigure their router with openDNS http://www.opendns.com/ or edit their Windows hosts file so at least they can access email and their own sites.

I heard that BT are changing their system and that this problem may last a long time.

0 Ratings
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 112

bt and virgin should of sent an email to all customers telling them to change there dns settings, or better yet scripted some bot program to automatiaclly loginto the TR-069 account and perform the required changes for each and every customers router, this problem was easily avoidable but like always they would rather do nothing and hope people wont notice, as a side note there is an error getting reported both on ASname state propagation (the thing that tells the dns servers which route to connetc through to get to the server) and DNSSEC (the protocol that tells your pc if the dns table is trustable so it can retrieve the routing information)

so it looks like instead of doign the work they were supposed to of completed last year to avoid trouble thye have left things untill its too late again.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 112

Yes!

I am so upset, I am a new small business and my web site went live 3 weeks ago. It has a shop and I have been receiving orders. www.worldofwillow.co.uk

For the last 4 days it has not been visible to many of my customers - or to me as a BT user. I have no idea who to contact, or how long the problem might last. My web hosting company assures me that all is working fine with the site, it is DNS problems on accounts with BT as their ISP.

Can anyone help??? One desperate small (getting asmaller!)  business start up.

* If there is ANYONE from BT reading this, if customer care means anything please contact me worldofwillow@btinternet.com

Thanks Gwen

0 Ratings
SmallCapNews
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 112

Me too: Our website www.smallcapnews.co.uk has suffered a massive drop in visitor numbers because of the BT problem.

I got onto BT on Wednesday and they said it was a DNS problem at their end but they had thought it was resolved. The person I contacted gave me some fxed DNS numbers to use so I can now see my own site again. Unfortunately my readers cannot see the site so the problem remains.

This is a disgraceful state of affairs and all website oweners need to make a fuss via BT complaints and flood their helpdesk with requests to get this issue resolved.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 112

@NanoTm wrote:
bt and virgin should of sent an email to all customers telling them to change there dns settings, or better yet scripted some bot program to automatiaclly loginto the TR-069 account and perform the required changes for each and every customers router, this problem was easily avoidable but like always they would rather do nothing and hope people wont notice, as a side note there is an error getting reported both on ASname state propagation (the thing that tells the dns servers which route to connetc through to get to the server) and DNSSEC (the protocol that tells your pc if the dns table is trustable so it can retrieve the routing information)

It's actually not trivial for people to alter their DNS settings in the hub, and AFAIK impossible on the later hubs and firmware update.

It can also a world of pain if people get things wrong.

This needs fixing at source, and is probably a couple of faulty servers. The ones I'm currently on are :-

and can't access the sites mentioned in this thread.

If anyone else can see the sites (BTinternet folk), perhaps pop to :-

http://private.dnsstuff.com/tools/aboutyou.ch

and refresh a couple of times and it should show the DNS servers at the bottom.

I am going for a power cycle, to see if I can get a different pair.

0 Ratings
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 112

your are right about it being possible to cause a world of pain for people to try and change the dns servers if they get it wrong

if people follow the how to on this page here they can indeed change the default service there pc uses once they have opened the correct page on there adapter

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

in orde rto set the dns service on a windows based pc

for xp open the netowrk connections page, right click on the adapter your using for internet, select propertiies,

in the properties page page double click on ivp4 on the popup the bottom of the page is for dns servers

enter the information as per the google page

and presto your ability to browse the web will be improved.

edit;

for vista  and win 7 users,

open network sharing center, click the status button of the connection, in the popup select properties button(bottom left ) double click ipv4 from the popup and set the dns entries as above.

and yes changing them on the pc takes presedence over anythign in the hub settings.

NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 112

having just doen the above i can now browse to both of the websites in the posts just above, before i was only gettign an error,

if you can guys i would suggest copying the contents of the post i made and emailing it to your client's and if your able too ask bt as buisness's to email all there customers to do the same thing.

its not rocket science and wont be above some one who can switch on a pc and conenct to the internet, i told my kids to folow that post and they managed it (there 11 and 9) so as long as someon completed primary education it wont be beyond there ability.
0 Ratings