cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HHGTTG
Expert
Message 1 of 5

BT Decor 2200 Again

I know that with all products one buys they invariably throw up problems for some people and of course there are defective ones that come off the assembly line.

I bought mine in March from Currys/PC World. It was to replace an old but working Telcom one that's been on our hall table for yonks. I was attraced to the 2200 because it had easy storage and retrieval of many contacts and didn't requre a mains socket nearby. The phone does requre 4 AA batteries however for the LCD display.

I plugged the phone into our socket and the phone seemed OK althouth the Speakerphone volume wasn't that loud and similarly the volume of the earpiece. This is only a second phone as we usually use a Cordless phone together with its Satellite brethren.

However i began to be aware of a lot of background noise developing (plugged into an ADSL filter) and eventually people's voices became quieter and distorted to the point where I stopped taking or making calls on this phone.

I have swapped filters, turned off and unplugged the BT Homehub but with no change in the new phone's behavious. I have re-instated in turn, two older phones and both work perfectly. The new phone is now out of use and I see from the Currys bill that we are past the time where a refund or replacement can be made.

I did remove all extensions from the master socket and plugged the phone, with an ADSL filter into it but got a pulsing noise which makes it unusable!

Obviously, I don't know what's up with this particular phone and whether a replacement would behave any differently or whether I should look for yet another speakerphone and keep fingers crossed

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
vhdsl_user
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Decor 2200 Again

I have owned 2 BT Decor 1200 phones for many years. Initially they were trouble free. Then about a year ago one of the phones exhibited a problem - symptom was that the speech in the receiver became weak and distorted - eventually got even worse where I would ask the caller to ring back in case it was a "bad line". I decided to investigate. I changed leads etc etc - but same old problem. So I decided to take the phone apart - not an easy task as they are designed to clip together (with also a few screws) in a non-reversible manufacturing operation. But it was worthwhile. There is a small "off-hook" switch which operates when you pick up the phone to make or answer a call. It is of very cheap construction and not sealed. I sprayed a small amount of contact cleaner on to the switch (you can buy contact cleaner from Maplin) and I have had no problems since then !  If you decide to carry out your own repair then you must disconnect the phone from the wall socket first.

0 Ratings
HHGTTG
Expert
Message 3 of 5

@vhdsl_user wrote:

I have owned 2 BT Decor 1200 phones for many years. Initially they were trouble free. Then about a year ago one of the phones exhibited a problem - symptom was that the speech in the receiver became weak and distorted - eventually got even worse where I would ask the caller to ring back in case it was a "bad line". I decided to investigate. I changed leads etc etc - but same old problem. So I decided to take the phone apart - not an easy task as they are designed to clip together (with also a few screws) in a non-reversible manufacturing operation. But it was worthwhile. There is a small "off-hook" switch which operates when you pick up the phone to make or answer a call. It is of very cheap construction and not sealed. I sprayed a small amount of contact cleaner on to the switch (you can buy contact cleaner from Maplin) and I have had no problems since then !  If you decide to carry out your own repair then you must disconnect the phone from the wall socket first.

Ah, thanks, I hadn't thought of that. Now that i have checked that I'm past any return or exchange date, according to Curry's then I might as well have a go, I suppose. Anyway, at the moment I have re-instated good old faithful in its place!

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

If you bought the phone in March this year, it's still under guarantee and the retailer is liable to replace it if it has a manufacturing fault. Because you've has it for less than six months, the onus is not on you to prove that the fault is down to the manufacturer. There's plenty of advice about this on the internet, for example here.

Take it back to Currys and demand a replacement or refund.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
HHGTTG
Expert
Message 5 of 5

@pottyperson wrote:

If you bought the phone in March this year, it's still under guarantee and the retailer is liable to replace it if it has a manufacturing fault. Because you've has it for less than six months, the onus is not on you to prove that the fault is down to the manufacturer. There's plenty of advice about this on the internet, for example here.

Take it back to Currys and demand a replacement or refund.

Thanks again. I will go to Currys this morning and say that the phone is defective or 'not fit for purpose'.

0 Ratings