cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Desktop Help - Security Alert

Go to solution

Does anyone know why I was continually getting a security alert message...Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available.  Do you want to proceed?  Yes, No, View Certificate?  This came up without me manually trying to access the internet.  I discovered by viewing the certificate that it was issued to pbttbc.bt.motive.com and referred to BT Desktop Help.  I tried every possible option, including the Install Certificate but the popup kept coming back.  In the end I uninstalled Desktop Help and the issue went away.  Just wondered if anyone knew why I was getting this, regardless of the option taken and if there was anything l could have done to resolve the issue without uninstalling.  Using IE9 and had the latest version of Desktop Help.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Desktop Help - Security Alert

Go to solution

My advice and that of others on this forum is to do as you have done and that is to uninstall BTDesktop Help. It is not needed on your computer for anything and can cause problems on some computers. You will find that your computer will work perfectly well without BTDesktop Help and if you have any problems with your Internet or connection, come to this forum and somebody will probably be able to help you.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your opinion.  As we both said, uninstalling resolves the issue.  Does anyone know the answer to the question?

It's not the end of the world if you don't, I would just like to know, if you do.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

See this information about security certificates from BT. It would appear that the certificate is out of date which often happens with BT

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10491/~/what-are-website-security-certificates%3F

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks again.  Yes I did look at that previously.  The certificate said Valid from 03/12/2012 to 04/12/2014.  I installed the certificate but later the prompt came back again, and again and again.  I don't understand why this was happening.  I tried every available option but couldn't get the popup to stop popping up.  I would like to find out what was causing the issue despite my attempts to repond accordingly.  I agree that BTDesktop Help is not a vital or even necessary application.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

The moderators of the forum have been informed of the problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this post.

Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Scotster

Send me an email using the contact the mods link in my profile, we can raise this query with the desktop help team to try to get the answers needed.

Thanks

Stuart

Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks Stuart,
Done.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I felt sure that there could only be a few simple reasons at most why I was having the problem.  Obviously it is far more complicated than I had at first thought.  I don't want to be wasting any further time on this.  I guess nobody else experienced the same thing so it must have just been my ignorance that made the problem happen.  I fixed it myself by removing BTDesktop Help from my system so this thread can be closed.  Thanks for the help.

0 Ratings