cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hominian
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

BT Digital Access box

I have one of these in a bedroom upstairs connected to a NTE5 socket (also with Digital Access written on it) below it.

Firstly, what is it? I'm presuming it's fairly old and was used pre-wireless Hubs?

Secondly, depending on the above answer, can I make any worthwhile use of it alongside my Home Hub 4?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Digital Access box

Its an ISDN2 NTU. It should have been disconnected if you have broadband, as it will affect the speed. It of no use with a home hub.

http://business.bt.com/phone-services/isdn/isdn2/

There was also a Residential version called Home Highway (Now discontinued), which gave a faster access than Dial-up, prior to the introduction of broadband.

It is still used by some business users, who need an additional line, but most now prefer ADSL or fibre access.

Hominian
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Well it's not powered, but it does still have a cable going to the socket below. The socket is the same type as the main one in the hallway, only with BT Digital Access written on it - is there anything special about this socket, is it a second main socket (if such a thing is possible) or maybe just the old main socket for dialup?

(apologies for originally posting in the wrong section)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

As far as I remember, the unit was powered from the exchange with a feed of about 100 volts, and has circuitry inside to split the 128kb into two 64Kb ISDN lines, and convert them to analogue PSTN or data.

Computer equipment needed a special ISDN Terminal Adapter to interface with the data port.

Its of no use to you now, and I doubt that you would get any output from it if you plugged a phone in.

It would have been connected to a special port on the exchange concentrator, which was digital only.

Once the line reverted to a normal phone line, the unit would stop working. It would interfere with broadband, and should have been disconnected.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 16

Its a bt homehighway network terminating box. It was a form of isdn aimed at the residential market. It was locally powerered with a plug top psu. It had a special type of linebox front plate.

I remember being a trialist back in the 90s. It provided 2 64k circuits that if the 2channels were bonded together gave 128k. A vast improvement on my dial up connection.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Dave, this must have been a different product to the business ISDN2 which I remember, which I thought was line fed, as special protectors had to be used on the frame, because of the higher voltages.

Maybe there was also a local power feed as well, and the higher line voltage was to increase line reach?

Too long ago now...

0 Ratings
qwazer007
Message 7 of 16

Sorry to drag this post up again but have a similiar issue: (Ignore the mould!)

I understand that I will need to remove the 'Digital Access' box (connected to a 'Digital Access Master Socket' just to the left of this box) to avoid a drop in Broadband/Fibre Optic speed.

Should I do this myself? (is it easy) or get an engineer round? 

Upon going through the Fibre Optic BB order page, It said an engineer would have to come round (to either property/exchange or both) to connect me properly.

There hasnt been any telephone line in the property for a good number of years

PS. There is a 2nd Master Socket in the Hall 

Any help greatly appreciated! 

photo-1.jpg

0 Ratings
qwazer007
Message 8 of 16

This is the 'Digital Access' Master Socket

photo-2.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

All of this installation will need to be removed by the Opereach Field Technician when they come to do the Infinity installation, as its not compatible with normal broadband or Infinity.

A new SSFP will need to be fitted instead, which looks like this.

newnte.jpg

MesterToU
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

Revealed, the shocking state of Britains skirting boards.

0 Ratings