cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macademis
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT Digital Vault - Deleting Files

So has anyone discovered how deletion works? - it has been a feature so tantalisingly alluded to, yet so impossible to access, there at one page gone from the next when you may actually wish to use it.

My auto back-up tells me that I am near to the limit, yet it is impossible to delete anything!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 21

Open the auto backup program, there is a tab at the top of the screen which says "delete files". From there you can select which files you wish to delete.

That is the only way you can remove files that have been backed up using auto-backup.

0 Ratings
macademis
Message 13 of 21

I need to delete files that were backed-up from a previous PC, therefore the destination in the Auto-Back Up doesn't have the correct address

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

You will have to use a spare PC, or a virtual machine, and install auto backup.

When it asks you for the name of the PC, select the name of the machine which you want to delete the files from.

The file directories do not have to exist on the machine, it simply uses the records stored on the server.

Then you can delete the unwanted files. You can then remove the auto backup program.

You could do it on your existing PC, but that means un-installing it, re-installing it to change the name. Then repeating the process to put everything back as normal.

Much easier if you use another PC, or Microsoft Virtual PC, or similar.

There is no way to delete files using the web interface.

0 Ratings
macademis
Message 15 of 21

keith, thanks for the information - will head off to PC world and buy another machine so that I can do it....or maybe not - a desktop hard drive would be cheaper and more manageable methinks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 21

If you are running XP Professional, the Microsoft VM is easier, as there a free time limited versions of XP available from Microsoft.

Or use the free VMware player, which runs on any machine.

Maybe you can borrow a spare PC or laptop from someone, just to delete the files.

0 Ratings
hurstpoint
Beginner
Message 17 of 21

It is unfortunate that your question is on page 2.  I have just deleted all of the folders and files from 3 old computers (including the root folder C).  I found the answer on page 1, which goes as follows, and created a lot of extra space.

First of all you need to uninstall auto-backup. Then when you re-install it again it will ask you for the computer name.
Select the name of the old computer. You should then be able to delete the old files.
If you want, you can then repeat the process, this time selecting the name of any other computer.
The old computer names remain on Digital Vault, even though their contents are empty.

I note that some other people recommend 'ditching' Digital Vault, but I would recommend sticking with it. You also need to appreciate that the current version of Digital Vault has a different screen from the one shown on page 1

131i03B20D7232DF837B

Click Remove Files.

I hope that this is helpful.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Smirnoff
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 21

I thought that the above screenshot version of Auto Back up was withdrawn (faulty?).

When I had a few problems with DV, I uninstalled Auto Back up and when I reinstalled it I was given the previous version 2.8.2 (1st screenshot).

See:

http://www.backup-technology.com/consumers-despair-at-bt-digital-vault-failure/

0 Ratings
zerodegreez
Message 19 of 21

Smiley Very Happy if you go into the auto backup manager software on your desktop click on delete files tab, then choose the files on your hard drive that you want removed from the digital vault and check the box to permanently delete from the digital vault then you won't have these files backed up again and they will be removed from the vault freeing up your space.  Don't worry it doesn't delete the files from your actual PC harddrive! Hope this helps...Smiley Tongue

0 Ratings
omotn
Message 20 of 21

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Scheduling-a-back-up-under-Windows-7/m-p/134619

Ihave just added this post. I want the old facility back to have the back up running continuously in the background.

I want the facility to select files by right clicking in Explorer. I want to be able to interrogate the file system in the backup frommy PC, not just see one tiny screen at a time. Ideally I would like to be able to run something like Treesize and Doublekiller on the back up.

The autobackup clinet has always been poor. It seems to have gone backwards in Windows 7. Maybe it is more reliable and robust in terms of backing up and retieving, though I have had a a considerable fiddle to retrieve all the files (about 26,000) from my old XP machine to my new W7 machine - the tiniest interruption to the link causes the whole transfer to fail, surely it could hang on to the link and retry at least a few times?

0 Ratings