cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leestaunton
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

BT Digital Vault - Deleting Files

Does anyone have any idea how you delete files from the digital vault.   The folders selected in the backup manager are only a gig or so in size, however the files on the internet are around about 3.5 gig.    I do not seem to be able to delete files from the backup manager or the internet.   I think the problem is that the internet is seeing my previous installation of Windows as another computer (I've recently upgraded to Windows 7).

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
leestaunton
Beginner
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Digital Vault - Deleting Files

Anyone have any ideas?   BT moderators, who should I contact to resolve?

0 Ratings
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 21

have you tried the online help service through the main bt website?

http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_catpage.php?p_sid=8IoumpWj&cat_lvl1=346&cat...

this set of faq's about the service might help and if not use the contact us area and email them for help with it (just try and get the correct department from the various choices on offer)
0 Ratings
leestaunton
Beginner
Message 4 of 21

okay, cheers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

First of all you need to uninstall auto-backup. Then when you re-intall it again it will ask you for the computer name. Select the name of the old computer. You should then be able to delete the old files.

If you want, you can then repeat the process, this time selecting the name of your new computer.

The old computer names remain on Digital Vault, even though their contents are empty.

0 Ratings
dolphin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Please could someone say how you can delete files and/or folders from the vault.  The previous postings talk of old and new computer names.  I just want to delete stuff to make way for new stuff.  Really elementary requirement.  I see delete box only after I've pressed "Web Upload", but then I can't see any vault content to specify what to delete.  It's the samne on other people's machines too.  Help please.  Thanks.

0 Ratings
RichTechie
Message 7 of 21

If you are using BT Autobackup for Win 7 then select the option restore or remove and click the remove tab

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

This only works for the current computer, similar to the suggestions posted above...

I use my Digital Vault to back up my parents' PC as well as my own and need to do some major trimming of their data, as they have been organising and renaming photos, so there are now multiple copies in my vault, taking up a huge amount of space.

Surely an overriding Admin function on the website or in the client wouldn't be difficult to implement?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

I have to say that the client is extremely basic and needs a lot more functionality.

One example is being able to schedule backups better. I would like backups to only run at night between, for example, 12am and 7am... I have had to automate this myself manually using scripts, which is a bit awkward.

I would definitely like to have more control over the contents of my vault from one computer, either via the website or via the client.

I am running the new Windows 7 version and we seem to have lost the ability to select files for backup via Explorer. This now must be done via the client, which is a step backwards in my view.

0 Ratings
bonema
Message 10 of 21

I agree, deleting my archived files from BT digital vault should be quite simple. I've had to trawl through this correspondence to find out how!

My solution -ditch the BT system and use one of the many superior products availbale.

0 Ratings