cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT E-mails bouncing back - server refused mail service

I'm having exactly the same problem as chris9954. Has anyone found a fix? It seems to have been happening over the past few days. I'm only aware of the issue when someone contacts me to tell me that they're getting the bounce-back message, so very worrying.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 12 of 21

I am also getting this to.

The problem has been around for a couple of weeks now, and the email address are valid.

I today got the following message:

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain btinternet.com by mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk. [65.20.0.49].

The error that the other server returned was:
554 rgin03.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - access denied

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 21

Hi @Nearly2Children

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

Sorry you're also having this problem.  We'll need to report this for you and we'll need your details first of all to do that.  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 14 of 21

This is my first posting on the forum, as I'm getting the same problems, has been hapening intermittently for some time, some senders get bounce backs, other mail just dissapears into the ether. Today a sender got the following message, 'Unable to deliver message to the followinmg recipient, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server'.

I use this address for work, and it's very embarassing when clients get no response from me, or ring to tell me their mail has bounced

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 21

We have been seeing this today all day too - getting 421-'Service not available - too busy" responses on every attempt to deliver email to BT.  We finally got some mail through to BT this evening, until we started getting 421 Not accepting messages at this time responses 'Too many messages (1.5.6.2) from <our IP>' (that would be all the ones couldn't delivere earlier because they were too busy!). 

We have got most of our backlog through now - but an apparently random selection of messages are still getting a "System policy engine error", others (from domains which have previously been able to deliver to BT without issue) are rejected as "unable to verify address' and others still are getting "Message rejected for policy reasons".  None of these were happening before Friday of last week, but since then there seem to have been multiple issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 16 of 21

I have had 8 different emails for customers bounce back to me this week. All are btinternet.com emails. Its driving me mad. What on earth can I do about it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

Other than persuading your customers to use another more reliable mail service, nothing I'm afraid.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 18 of 21

I am also experiencing the bouncing emails issue, as noted in this thread (and others).

It seems to have become particularly bad over the last month or so, but I've no idea how long it has been going on because it's only because some recent important emails have bounced back to people that it's come to light.

I have my own domain, from which I forward email to the btinternet.com addresses, so I followed the steps for adding SPF entries to the TXT records for the mail-servers.  This does not seem to have fixed the issue.

I recently tried to send an email complaint (a few click in from https://www.bt.com/help/home/complaints.html); however, the form rejects any chance to submit the complaint because it says the account number must be '10 characters long' - even though it clearly was (I tested via and iPad and PC, in case it was a browser issue).  That's one way to reduce the number of complaints received, I guess...sigh.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 19 of 21

@Chardrazle

What SMTP bounce back messages are you getting?

By any chance is it ":reason: 550 Message rejected for policy reasons (1.1.1.4) with a message stating to Please
check you have authority to send email from <IP-Address> on behalf of the
domain <domain>. Guide for bulk senders www.bt.com/bulksender)"

Be aware that if you are forwarding emails from a domain to a btinternet.com account, that your email forwarder mechanism is has implement and utilities Sender Rewriting Scheme (SRS) standard -http://www.openspf.org/SRS. Otherwise the SPF validation fro the incoming email fails (which may then trigger the above smtp bounce back to occur)

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 21

I am having the same problem. I sent an email from my work email address to my home to get this back:

Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

This user doesn't have a btinternet.com account

An attempt latter in the day was successful. What is going on?

0 Ratings