cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 21 of 139

Re: BT Email bounce backs

I found out tonight that two people have been trying to email me but are getting bounce backs. One has his own .co.uk domain and the other is from a .eu domain. Other emails appear to be getting to me ok.

Could this be something to do with the problem?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 22 of 139

I suspect, but don't know, that BT Mail have introduced some kind of "high level" spam/junk mail/bulk mail filter that is blocking legitimate traffic but on an inconsistent basis.

It would be good if BT could admit that they've created the problem and to actually say sorry. Are the moderators taking note?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 139

I provide technical help to my local parish council and this problem is affecting them quite badly. Two of the parish councillors have btinternet addresses and emails to them from the parish clerk are regularly bouncing. Usually, when she re-sends them, they get through OK. The bounce message is always the same - “Service not available - access denied”.

I’ve set up a btinternet address to test when this happens and now forward all my emails (from my own domain) to xxxxx@btinternet.com. As with the parish clerk’s emails, a proportion of these are bouncing with the ‘access denied’ message.

Both my own domain (wavecor.co.uk) and the parish council’s domain (coleshill.org) are hosted by 1 and 1. Whether this is relevant or not I do not know. But 1and 1 are a major service provider and BT should not be rejecting emails from their domains with just a terse ‘access denied’ message.

Note, sometimes messages are correctly bounced. For example if I forward a known SPAM message, it gets bounced with the message, “IP FOUND IN DNSRBL (please check for IP address listing on common DNS RBL services)”.

I really think the mods should get involved with this problem and help to get it resolved. BT will lose customers if their email service is not reliable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 24 of 139

Hi guys,

Thanks all for posting. Sorry you're still having problems with the emails. I've forwarded this to the email support team and I'll post back as soon as I have anything.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 139

Thanks DavidM.

I think that it is important that we continue to add to this thread as bounces occur so that it is kept alive. My hosting is also on 1&1 but the error certainly appears to be at BT server level. Someone must know what the bounce messages mean, surely?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 26 of 139

I'm not a btinternet customer. Since 12th March, I've had the bounce back error '421 Too many messages' whenever I reply to an email from an @btinternet account. The latest was this morning. If I then send it as a new message rather than a reply, it seems to go through ok.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 27 of 139

Correction - it's not only replies that get the dreaded 421 error. Just had it for a new email sent to @btinternet.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 139

Me too '421 Too many messages' .....aaahhh.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 29 of 139

421 error appears to eb a new twist.

Would one of the 421 posters please paste in the equivalent of this from their bounce message?

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address

failed:

SMTP error from remote server in greeting:

host: mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk:

rgin01.bt.int.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - access denied

This should help the technical bods to decipher the cause. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 30 of 139

I'm another BT customer affected by this issue.  I work from home and it's causing me no end of grief.

One particular colleague, who also has a btinternet.com email address, is receiving the bounce back message from 50% of her emails to me.  But all my messages to her get through!

Like many others here my email gets redirected (from 1and1).  I've been with them for over 10 years now though with no problems before this month.

The random bounce backs have been happening for over 3 weeks now so I hope BT are working on a resolution.

0 Ratings