cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 139

BT Email bounce backs

Friends who send emails to my BT addresses are getting bounce backs occasionally, It's as if the mail servers don't know my address. If they try a little later it goes through. Is there something up with one, or more, of the BT mail servers? I'm on the "new" BT Email.

0 Ratings
138 REPLIES 138
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 139

Re: BT Email bounce backs

See my conmmnet on this thread Messages sent from Outlook not being received (Link doesn't work so please see message listing)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 139

This bounce back issue is continuing. I almost feel like adding to my emails that I'm using BT email and if an email bounces back for them to try again. It all seems very random but clearly BT's mail servers, for whatever reason, forgot my BT address.

Is there anything the moderators can do to progress this or should I issue a formal complaint?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 139

We are also recently getting these quite frequent bounces, with the message

SMTP error from remote server in greeting:

host: mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk:

rgin02.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - access denied

Is it a server capacity issue or some other function?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 139

This appears to be an intermittent and recurring theme. There are several current threads on this.

It would appear that at times there is some issue with btinternet.com addresses receiving mail. Most times the sender gets a "permanent error" message and thus, hopefully, resends the message which might or might not then get through.

I mainly use non btinternet email addresses over the BT fibre product with no issues so this is certainly a BT receiving error.

I can only suggest that everyone keeps reporting the issue until it is sported out. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 139

Just had another one fail here! 

Moderators could you please ensure engineering are aware of this problem?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 139

I and 3 others I know of are also getting these occasional bounce backs.  Yesterday I spent over an hour being bounced around within BT until I finally got someone to accept some responsibility to investigate.  Most of the "help desk" want you to log out and in again or change your password or will 'pass you on to correct department', failing to understand that access to my inbox is not the issue, it's the non-arrival of original emails that is.

In my case many of the returned emails are sent from my website when re-directing me an email to me.  The re-directed email fails, generates the error email which does arrive!  Both emails going to the same email address within milli-seconds of each other.  I have yet to have the error email rejected thus causing a third email to be sent!

When I asked for an email address to send a copy of what I was getting as the error message I was told they don't have one.  A communications company that offers email services that doesn't have an email address for the help desk!  No wonder they don't understand their customers frustrations with the [lack of] service offered.  After asking to speak to a manager an email address was provided and I have sent them the reject email with full headers and have been promised a response within 48 hours.  I will just have to wait and see before escalating this further.

They did comment at one point that there were no problems indicated on their servers, to which I had to point out that this was the very reason I was calling them.  Just because there is nothing indicated their end does not mean we, the punters, aren't having problems.

So I'm sorry you, too, are getting this issue but at least it gives me more ammunition that it's nothing to do with my particular set up, but more obviously with something in the BT network.  I doubt anyone in BT actually reads these forums, but I can direct them to this thread if needed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 139

Yes it is getting past the script driven first/second line "support" folks who appear to know less than most users and onto someone who can take action.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 139

Just to confirm I'm still getting random bounce backs. I've sent five emails to myself. Email 1 got through and Email 5.

The header on the 3 bounce back show:

"xxxxxxx@btinternet.com":

rgin04.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - access denied

2nd one

rgin09.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - access denied

3rd one

rgin03.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - access denied

THIS IS CLEARLY A PROBLEM WITH BT's MAIL SERVERS and needs to be urgently addressed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 139

Happening again today. This is very time consuming for people sending messages and having to resend (sometimes more than once). It must be very frustrating to BTinternet.com users who rely on those addresses for their mail and simply aren't getting it delivered. 

For many years I have used domains held on my web site host for email and I do not usually have any issues but getting through to btinternet users is now a lottery.

0 Ratings