cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alistair94
Contributor
Message 51 of 139

Re: BT Email bounce backs

I'm on the edge of loosing the will to live after telephone and livechat with BT this morning on this issue!

Firstly they called me and gave me the usual run around that it was a problem with the email provider of the people who were trying to email me. They refused to accept that there was a BT server issue. I siggested that I email the response that senders were receiving and they agreed that was a good idea so they could see the server names etc. I was told to email DCREX@BT.COM with the info - guess what, the email bounced back - remote MTA smtp.1.bt.com: network error - SMTP protocol doagnostic: 550.5.5.0 550 5.7.1 Reegusted action not taken: message refused.

That's when live chat came into play as I wanted to check the email address I was given over the phone.  This was so slow it was unbelievable - eventually they asked for the bounceback message then wanted to know if I was using an email client or webmail, if I was using capitals (it bounced with either upper or lower case)  and then wanted me to send myself an email to see if my mail was working (which it is) They wouldnt give me an alternative address and I suggested attaching a file in the chat that gave the original bounceback message

SMTP error from remote server in greeting: host: mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk: rgin04.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - access denied

I was then told there might be a problem with the email server of cpcloud.co.uk and I should contact the email provider of that domain!

They sent me this link https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/cpcloud-Blacklisted-by-SpamAssassin/td-p/930382

They then asked me if I knew who cpcloud who were - they obviously don't know who runs their BT Mail!

I was hitting my head off the desk at this point and insisted this was escalated to someone who knew what they were talking about.

It has been escalated and they are to call me on 2 April but I don't hold out much hope of a resolution.

Mods - nobody seems to have a clue or care about what is going on here.

0 Ratings
sdb99
Beginner
Message 52 of 139

Same problem...I'm in a chat session at that moment trying to explain the problem and I've been told that rebooting my hub will solve the problem! 

I've explained that the problem is when someone sends me an email but they are convinced it's a hub issue...going nowhere...

And I've just been told that BT cannot help as it involves a non BT email address!  Amazing!!

0 Ratings
Chris_Hibiscus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 139

Just arrived back from a meeting today. I very concerned as a number of important Emails I should have received have not arrived over the last few days.

As explained previously I have my emails forwared from a 1&1 domain name address. I expect in most cases the bounce message that the senders should received is interprited as spam so they don't recieve it. With my server staus emails bouncing I think this is what every one else is expriencing.

Can the moderators of this forumn please escalate the problem as a matter of urgency.

Chris

0 Ratings
sdb99
Beginner
Message 54 of 139

Update...

I've just spoken with someone in the BT security team and they adivsed me that the problem is associated with the final migration from Yahoo to BT Mail and the problem is with Yahoo.  It first appeared a couple of weeks ago which matches when I first experienced the problem and they have no date for either a fix or when the migration to BT mail will be completed. 

This is unacceptable.  

0 Ratings
VLT
Contributor
Message 55 of 139

I find it interesting that folks are having their emails forwarded to their BT accounts. This is compounding their problems at the moment.

I use Outlook, although Windows Live Mail will do the same, and download and send directly through 1&1. I also have our tablets and mobiles set to pull down mail from all our email addresses with no forwarding involved. It also means that replies go out with the original domain address rather than BT Internet. Of course it takes time to set up intially but I have found over many eyars that it works well. 

Each to their own, of course. 

0 Ratings
VLT
Contributor
Message 56 of 139

They should have made sure that there wouldn't be issues on migration. We are talking people's livlihoods here, not to mention time and frustration. 

So let's blame Yahoo - BT blame them by all means but get it sorted without delay. 

0 Ratings
sdb99
Beginner
Message 57 of 139

@VLT wrote:

I find it interesting that folks are having their emails forwarded to their BT accounts. This is compounding their problems at the moment.

I use Outlook, although Windows Live Mail will do the same, and download and send directly through 1&1. I also have our tablets and mobiles set to pull down mail from all our email addresses with no forwarding involved. It also means that replies go out with the original domain address rather than BT Internet. Of course it takes time to set up intially but I have found over many eyars that it works well. 

Each to their own, of course. 

This is a sevice that you are buying from 1&1 and means that you are not using BT mail.   Whilst I was happy with forwarding my mail (and my replies and all emails do go out with the original doman address not a BT address) I'll be moving over to a paid service soon to get around this problem.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 58 of 139

I had another phone call from BT last night. The gist was that they're aware of a problem but it will take 3 or 4 days to fix. Some hope? No details were given of the problem and I'm not convinced that the person I spoke to had full knowledge of the issues involved. 

0 Ratings
sue_marie
Beginner
Message 59 of 139

Calls to BT don't seem to be getting folk anywhere. I suggest that a tweet to @BTCare might escalate matters.
However, my tweet resulted in me being asked to email postmaster@btinternet.com. And guess what? My email bounced back - Too Many Messsges!
0 Ratings
thirteenfour
Beginner
Message 60 of 139

Just set up an account here so I could contribute to this. I have a reseller account with WebFusion, who are also a part of Host Europe, like 1-and-1. One of my clients has had these bounces occuring for the past two weeks too, always with the error message:

<[recipient]@btinternet.com>:
Connected to 65.20.0.49 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 421 Too many messages (1.5.6.1) I'm not going to try
again; this message has been in the queue too long.

I contacted WebFusion and their response was:
"Our sys admins advised that BT imposed recently a limit on the rate for the
emails sent from our mail servers. As we do not have control over that
limitation, please contact BT and ask the about this issue."

None of the various domains through which the client's emails pass are listed on any of the spam blacklists, so I don't know why BT have chosen to implement this limitation on all Host Europe emails, but that definitely seems to be the cause of the issue. I've been trying for days to get through to someone at BT to get it resolved, to no avail. It's causing major problems for the client as they are trying to liaise with customers who have btinternet.com addresses, and even board members of the company itself.

I don't have any solutions to offer than keeping trying to get BT to acknowledge the issue, but thought people might like some extra info on the cause at least.

0 Ratings