cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidC
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

BT Email just stopped working on Thunderbird

I have been using Thunderbird with BT mail for some time now and recently it's become a bit unreliable.

HOWEVER - this morning it has stopped working completely. I can log on to web mail OK but Thunderbird keeps telling me 'log on to mail server failed'. If I re-enter my password it still fails.

I have 3 btinternet mail accounts and 1 of them works OK but my main account and 1 of my sub accounts fail every time.

All 3 of the accounts appear to be set up exactly the same (incoming and outgoing) but 2 of them have just stopped working!

Does anyone have any suggestions or information please?

I haven't re-installed Thunderbird as I'm not sure if all my existing emails would be lost.

Any help appreciated.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT Email just stopped working on Thunderbird

Don't change anything, it is probably one of the intermittent glitches that the BT mail system suffers from and will right itself eventually.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 24

Hi DavidC.

I upgraded to thunderbird 52.4.0 today and it crashes every few minutes. If this is your problem then I suspect you should see an extra icon on your task bar, if you click this a notification window will appear advising you that Thunderbird has just crashed and ask you to click OK to restart it and report the fault.

0 Ratings
DavidC
Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Mine is version 52.4.0 but it hasn't crashed. Just after I posted here I got a flurry of emails but the client sems to work in fits and starts. For weeks now there has always been at least one of my accounts which fails virtually every time Thunderbird checks for emails (and it's not the same account each time). I have 3 BT internet accounts on the client and a couple of other (hotmail etc) and it's ALWAYS the Btinternet accounts which fail.

Thanks for the info - I'll have to check when Thunderbird last updated and see if that ties in.

DavidC

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 24

@DavidC wrote:

Mine is version 52.4.0 but it hasn't crashed. Just after I posted here I got a flurry of emails but the client sems to work in fits and starts. For weeks now there has always been at least one of my accounts which fails virtually every time Thunderbird checks for emails (and it's not the same account each time). I have 3 BT internet accounts on the client and a couple of other (hotmail etc) and it's ALWAYS the Btinternet accounts which fail.

Thanks for the info - I'll have to check when Thunderbird last updated and see if that ties in.

DavidC

Hi.

Do you use any other devices concurrently with Thunderbird?

I don't believe there is an issue with TB, as this would result in masses of complaints and posts.

The fault is with the mail servers.

What needs to be done is that every report of access failure needs to be logged by the helpdesk and investigation done to ascertain if there is any common account/database settings that could cause these problems. I can't see that any user setup would be the cause due to the implied difference with every user computer, and smartphone, products.

Even things like automatic system temporary suspensions need to be checked, which could be caused by initial access failure and then quick access attempts due to that failure causing lockout. Multiple concurrent attempts, and of course the suspension due to the system seeing spoofed emails in spam runs. The latter has been reported a couple of times or more recently.

I realise this could take a fair bit of effort, but surely a build up of information would be beneficial to maybe prevent future problems if the cause is solved. Surely this would save time, effort and hence cost to the support teams and in particular, end user frustration.

Along with this, fixing all the other reported mail faults ...

0 Ratings
DavidC
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

In fact I configured windows mail temporarily to check and that was exactly the same. When a flurry of emails actually came through a few hours later they appeared on TB and windows mail at the same time! Life is too short to go through to the 'Help' desk every time there's a problem and be told to restart/reinstall etc every time.
0 Ratings
Van883
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

The fault is with BT servers. The "offshore" helpdesk blame the end user, but the UK based people I have spoken to admit there is a problem.

0 Ratings
DavidC
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

I must admit I suspected it was a system fault of some sort.

What with my BT broadband freezing at various points during the day (despite being sent several new routers) and my BT Youview throwing up error messages (despite several new boxes) it just doesn't seem like a very solid service. I hoped that, when I was on the project teams launching most of these services (all those years ago) that we (BT) would be able to provide a world-class service!

0 Ratings
AlasdairB
Beginner
Message 9 of 24

This is a problem I have had on and off over the years with BT Yahoo Mail but in the last few weeks it has got much worse, working OK for a few days then stopping for hours on end. Yesterday downloading email stopped working about 9am and started again after 10pm but it hasn't worked at all today. Lengthy support calls in the past fortnight have proved completely useless: first 'if webmail is OK then there isn't a problem', then 'we don't support Thunderbird, contact your supplier', then 'check settings - oh those look OK'. Then the first one escalated it to Level 2, who told me that actually there was a known problem on the Yahoo servers and they were working on it. They calledback a few days lated and started going through the same routine (is webmail working? etc. etc.) so I told the assistant what I had been told previously abot a known fault on the servers. She said that I should not have been told that - she was 'Level 2' and it wasn't true. I pointed out that the person who had told me it said they were also Level 2. She mumbled. She then said that the problem was that POP3 is an obsolete system which doesn't work very well any more and I should be using IMAP. She also told me that all my port settings were wrong, even though they had been set by BT support staff and matched what the website recommends. I didn't have confidence in her. I later checked the website and it said nothing about POP3 being obsolete. However changing the mail server to the one recommended on the Yahoo Mail website did improve things. Another call back from BT Internet support told me that what the second assistant had said was not true - it is still OK to use POP3. He apologised for the poor service and incorrect advice given. The next call went through the usual routine (if webmail is OK there isn't a ptoblem etc.) and when we finally got to the problem he asked me what we should do to fix it. I pointed out poitely that was his job ... and he hung up on me. 

Where do we go from here? Unless BT's service or its support department improve soon, I am going to have to go somewhere else.

0 Ratings
Van883
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

This completely mirrors my experience. The helpdesk is useless.

0 Ratings