cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stacys-mom
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT FON / BT WiFi great, but...

OK. So I love the BT FON / BT WiFi as my family can access data when out an about on the mobile devices. This is especially handy for my children as it means they do not incur huge data costs when they (inevitably) approach their monthly allowance. 

Now, I have set up time restrictions for their laptops and mobile devices when at home but the problem I have is that the 'little darlings' can still connect using the BT FON / BT WiFi application. 

Is there any way I can ban-hammer them during certain times when at home but still allow them access when out and about?

Sorry if this is a repost!

Thanks in advance! 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT FON / BT WiFi great, but...

You should not really give them the login details anyway, as they can use it to access your primary e-mail account.

There is no way to restrict them, unless you change the password on your primary e-mail address, and not give them the new password.

jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 9

Hi Stacys-mom,

There isn't a way to set time restrictions on the BTWifi (BTWifi & BTWifi-with-FON) signals, however you could replace your HomeHub with a thrid-party router which will mean that the BTWIfi SSID (signal) will not be transmitted from the thrid-party router, though you will still be opted into BTWifi meaning that you can still acccess the public BTWifi hotspots around the UK.

If you don't want to get a thirdparty router, then you could set-up the BT Network based perental controls which will apply to your BT broadband and to any of the BTWifi hotspots. 

more info on the BT network level parental contols here: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=37062

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

jac_95

Are you sure that BTParental Controls apply to the BTWifi on the Homehub?

EDIT: Ah just found the bit that says it does apply to BTWifi as well.

jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 9

Stacys-mom
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

So how can I allow my children BTFON and BTWiFi access when away from home and add a parental internet block on their mobile devices when at home? I don't want to block certain sites, I want to block all internet access for their mobile devices so they go to sleep!

Is it possible? Am I asking too much from the system?

Thanks...

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 9

Stacys-mom,

For what you want to do, then the only way I can see to do this is to get a thirdparty router to replace the BT HomeHub.

This will stop the BTWifi SSID being transmitted (as the thirdpary router isn't configured to transmit the BTWifi signals), though will still allow you to use other BTWifi hotspots around the UK as you would still be opted in for the service.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

I don't use Parental Controls but reading the blurb about it you can set the controls to be turned off at certain times so a bit of reverse thinking might be needed.

Find out what sites they use, ie Facebook or other social media sites, and set them to be blocked but you decide when the block is turned off. ie between 8am and 10pm or whatever.

Stacys-mom
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thanks everyone. I will start with family settings then if that doesn't scratch the itch, I'll buy a new router...or sell the children!

0 Ratings