cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT FON / WIFI possibly at fault.

I really like the idea of bt wifi everywhere it's a huge step forward where all bt customers can pick up wifi from place to place so naturally I have opted in. In my area I was the first bt infinity customer and very happy to be one. Just recently I have noticed a few tv signal problems and outages (only 45 mins maximum just unfortunately halfway into the film I was watching 8-) ) anyway no real problem. Then I started to experience buffering while watching on demand... only a few seconds every 15 minutes or so, and again... no real big concern. I had noticed that my game downloads from steam had started dropping to less than 1mb instead of 5+mb.... I know there's a lot of new installations going on around here and this area is being made availabe to infinity (I get mine only because my nearest box is connected to an exchange in another town as I'm on the other side of the river to my home town) but as a thought I thought I don't use the bt wifi and as an experiment I opted out and my download speed has dramatically increased... I haven't tried on demand and too early to say about outages but BB is great again. It is very possible and (most likely) probable that it was a coincidence that the speed increased at that time but all I know is that it has worked and my infinity 2 72mb download speed (which rarely drops 🙂 ) is delivering as it used to do. I'll give it a few weeks and opt in again to compare but I'm sure it will be ok. 

Far too old and fat to be riding very fast motorcycles...... but I do.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT FON / WIFI possibly at fault.

I had heard that opting out could help improve so I did....unfortinately my network still displays the BTwifi and with Fon!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

The culprit is less likely to be other users (unless you live in a very dense block of flats, and no one else has broadband).

The likely culprit is your Home Hub.

My Home Hub 3 had two annoying problems:

1. Dropped packets on the LAN, so glitches in films that I never saw when using lowly Sky broadband yet buffering problems on Infinity

2. Wifi dropouts, so connected devices can't connect to the Internet without rebooting the Hub and / or the mobile phone

I replaced it with the RT-AC66U because I wanted a router that had extendable antennae and support for the latest standards.  Replacement with the wizard is a doddle (user name =   youremailaddress@btbroadband.com, password = bt, everything else is done for you)

Other devices will also work - just google "gigabit wifi router".

A byproduct of installing a 3rd party router is you opt out of the BT WIFI club in your home, but you can still provide wifi to friends if you want by turning on your "Guest Network" with a password or without one.

Good luck!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

that might explain the buffering but my steam downloads were slow and my pc is hard wired not wifi.... unless the hub is bottle necking the download speed ... hmm not sure but youtube has started to have problems now. Probably youtubes fault but works on my phone okay ?//

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Carry out a speed test connected by cable not wireless using this link. Also do the diagnostic test and post the results along with the IP profile back on the forum. This will help to see what your speeds are and also what sort of speeds your line can support.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Yes I have been to that site before thanks. But this recent visit shows I get 63mbps out of a possible 64Mbps download (it used to show higher than 64Mbps before but more people have started to have bt around here so maybe that's why the maximum speed possible has dropped slightly... but it's more than good enough for what I need)

Upload is now down from just under 15Mbps (out of a possible 20Mbps) to 8Mbps which means I can still skype in HD so I still have a usable BB Smiley Happy

0 Ratings