cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mickjenny
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT FON and OFCOM

How will Ofcoms new proposals regarding illegal downloads affect BTFON?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT FON and OFCOM

i am assuming that the users logging into BT Fon are well...Logged!

Plus the download speeds are normally capped at 1/2 meg so idont think they will get far!!

But who knows,  if a ruiling effects someone, they should show some evidence on what websites you have accessed, what files you have downloaded, is this not againts human rights and privacy laws???

again, i am not an expert but if anyone has the right or useful answers and proof of sources, would be great to hear!

cg

CG Over An Out
0 Ratings
mcpaddy
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

A little info for anyone wishing to brush up on the old dpa 1988 read here

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Primary&PageNumber=1&BrowseLetter=D&NavFrom=1&...

IMHO I think it would be a breach of the dpa for any such details being passed without our consent as stated in the dpa act but i may be wrong but doubt it

0 Ratings
Linda_Smith
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

At present the only "logging" that is in question is that the ISP may be asked "who" was logged in to the BTFon account at the time when a "rights holder" believes that the BTFon IP address was used for infringing downloads. There is (currently) no monitoring of content/data moving along the connection by the ISP (unless they do it covertly) - although a certain other broadband provider is investigating using Detica CView for such purposes. (It's google StreetView wifi monitors who do that sort of thing - whoops! - that was a slip - sorry) To what extent BT are able to provide a rights holder pursuing a civil legal case, with evidence of who was using an identified BTFon IP address on a given day/time in the past, I am not sure. I imagine they could provide details of the BTFon/BTOpenzone logon ID used, but how evidentially useful that would be in a civil case is uncertain, and it certainly wouldn't identify an individual person. they might even be able to include the MAC address for the device used - iPhone or computer or whatever. And exactly where the liability splits between BT, the commercial ISP who run the BTFon network, and the Wifi account holder who hosts the BTHomehub through which the BTFon network is passing data? I'll leave that one to the very well paid lawyers whose job it will be to work it out. Virtually everything about this remains uncertain so no need to panic just yet. I think it is fair to say that Ofcom are navigating in the dark, and doing what they are required to do by the new law - which is consult and draw up proposals for how they propose to go about things. All the difficult questions have been put on one side because no one yet knows the answers. It's how digital laws get made in this country. In the dark.
My broadband secrets and tips
0 Ratings