cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

BT FON and which mobile phone?

My current mobile phone is ready for the bin and would like to buy a new one and use the BT FON on it. I know you can use it on the Iphone and other android phones but can you use it on cheaper phones like the Samsung S3520 Tocco Lite and the Samsung Monte S5620?

Many thanks for your time.

Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT FON and which mobile phone?

I believe that the tocco lite does not have wifi and aint 3G (if its the same make/modle as a friends), as for the Monte there's wifi which can be a little unpredicatable if you read the samsung forums.

Added to that without it being on droid you will have a limited access to apps, through the samsumg version of app store via kies software.

Connecting to fon without an app requires a sort of web login which some phones from nokia/samsumg et al have problems with the presentation of the screen. There's been other threads where people have tried to use phones and get stuck on login pages etc 

Dunno if your tied to a particular vendor but from £150 - £175 quid you can buy a brand new HTC Wildfire on Payg (vodafone and 3) and/or  unlock it to existing for your existing sim. Excepting the lower screen resolution its well below  half the price of iphone/HTC desire's and has the"power" to keep up with the big boys!

A real pocket rocket bargin, it'll allow you to use the free BT FON app an utilise free wifi, and huge range of varions apps can be easily added to through the droid market

regards

baz

Highlighted
Message 3 of 13

Thank you very much for that information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Following on from that I have just purchased HTC Wildfire. I've switched my sim card from 620 but it does not recognise it. Have no problem connecting to my hub etc, but not surprisingly it does not list BTMobile as  an available network. I've tried selecting vodaphone but it says my sim card does not allow connection to this network.  Will I need a new sim card from BT? It seems that others have had no problem switching sim cards.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 13

"Hero factory reset and APN settings thread" has the settings to manually input.

Id suggest you set up a g mail a/c before you set up though if you don't have one
AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Are you sure that the phone is unlocked?

Later BT SIMS arent always 100% compatible with a Vodaphone mobile phones I was told by someone at BT a while back, and the phone may still have to be unlocked.

You shouldnt have to select a provider on an unlocked phone to my  knowledge.

Failing that Alan's suggestion is sound as an unlocked phone will require the APN settings to get the data and MMS working

regards

Baz

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 13

AFAIK HTC devices only have HTC o/s on them. Sounds like yours might be locked to network, if not, try manually inputting the above settings.
AQ.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Thank you both for that. I have been away since my original post so have not had time to deal with the matter fully. However I slipped in a spare Orange PAYG sim in and selected my provider from the options, chose Orange, and off to go!!  No probs at all whilst away.

Of course I'd rather use my BT Sim from 620 as I have the free mins/texts. I rang BT "helpdesk", who were most unhelpful, would only repeat endlessly "our sims work on all HTC mobiles", and when I asked if I may need to alter APN or other settings she almost scowled (over the phone too!!) and reprimanded me for asking the Q as I had purchased the handset elsewhere. No thanks at all for being a BTBB3 customer for 15 years and now also a Vision customer.

I did notice that the APN settings acknowledged the btmobile sim when I inserted the card, and only varied very slightly from those on the link Alan directed me to. Will have a proper attempt at it shortly and let you know what happens.

Very happy with the Wildfire though, no comparison to 620 (though probably nowhere near Desire)  but a big step ahead for me,-even better if I can get btmobile sim to work!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 13

As Bazza says, a good phone. These smartphones use more data than the 10mb you have from BT. You need one of the 500mb or 1gb deals which are around. Might be worth seeing what's available 😉
AQ.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Sorry about original blank reply , man of few words Smiley Happy and suffering the quirks of IE9 Smiley Sad

Alan's right about getting a data allowance, and it does depend on what you really do with the smartphone.

Dont forget to get the BT wifi app from android market , it works really well where I live and use it a lot travelling about, I use the 500mb package between 2 phones and still usually have a considerable amount left over per month

regards

baz

0 Ratings