cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT FON unilaterally foisted on existing BT customer without warning!

To say that I am an uphappy BT Customer is a major understatement.

I have been with BT for several years now and suffered 0.5Mbps download rates until recently when I finally got to talk to a UK-based BT Engineer who was brilliant - he sorted my line out.  As an existing BT Customer I never opted in to any mobile service, BT FON or otherwise.

At the time a third party company was rolling out fibre to cabinet technology - but I decided to wait it out as a loyal BT Customer - Infinity was just around the corner.  This got delayed, but 4 weeks ago I ordered Infinity and confirmed with the BT Sales person that as an existing customer I would not be Opted Into BT FON against my wishes.  I could always request it in the future.  With this condition I placed the order.  BT and I had at that point entered into both a verbal and written contract!!

The Infinity Engineer arrived on time, was really helpful and professional.  He confirmed that BT FON was not enabled and stated that as an existing customer I would not be opted in.  I have been periodically checking the status of the hub and my contract having had an issue with the loss of free evening calls which was eventually sorted out.

You can imagine my horror when this morning when against my wishes, and with no written warning via email or letter, I found that BT had enabled the BT FON service.  OK - just phone them and get it disabled. 

I contacted the help line who advised that it should not have been enabled but gave some excuse about updates being sent out, but that it would take 48hours.  When I had disabled it I then phoned BT Openzone to register my complaint.  I was then told that it would take 28days to disable the service because I had use the web service and therefore that was effectively my fault! If I wanted it to change sooner I needed to do a hard/factory reset of my hub.  I asked whether BT could guarantee that this would not happen again if further updates were pushed out in the future.  The help desk could not confirm that it would not be re-enabled!!

I have reset the hub using a paperclip - shades of getting floppy disks out of Mac Plus/SEs, but as I suspected because the hub has been updated it did not do any good.  I am stuck with BT FON until either BT pushes an update to my hub or I buy a third party hub AND worst of all I could go through this whole process again in the future.

As it is I can see 12 networks, so why should my wireless and broadband performance be further degraded by my neighbours logging onto my hub!  There is enough wireless contention at the moment.  On a private road with no access to the public why should I be forced to host a parasitic service from which I get no benefit?

So in summary:

- the information provided by the two help desks conflicted, including with that on the web site;

- the BT Openzone helpdesk was distinctly unhelpful;

- BT are in breach of contract;

- My wireless and broadband performance is now degraded;
- Even if I do get this resolved quickly, this could be repeated.

I think that the only choice I have is to buy a third party hub which will mean no BT FON and no external meddling with my hub settings.  If I treated my customers in this manner I would have very few if any left.

I would rather not have to spend the money at the moment - Am I really going to have to buy a third party hub to resolve this situation?  I assume that a Netgear WNDR3700 would be a good choice given the wireless contention problems?

Cheers,

Tim

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT FON unilaterally foisted on existing BT customer without warning!

I don't understand how you were "horrified" that FON was enabled? If you have Infinity, even if someone was using FON from your router, you wouldn't notice it at all.

What's with the hatred of FON?

If you change router then FON wouldn't be broadcast from that.

Regarding getting it disabled from the hub..no one's really sure how long it takes. Some have had it come off in hours, others up to 40 something days.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

Hi.

BTFon wil not degrade your service. If you require the full bandwidth, and if anyone is using FON via your hub it will be they that are affected.

Also, BTFon is not an open network. Any neighbour has to be a BTinternet user to login (or buy a FON package), which is pointless as they would be using their own connection.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Webby,

If someone took something of yours against a prior agreement then that is technically theft or fraud.

There are only so many reasons for why I find myself in this situation:

- A genuine mistake - they should fix it swiftly and as a minimum explain why it happened, an apology would be nice.

- BT do not have a deterministic management and configuration management system.  With only a few types of hubs to support,  testing should be straight forward in this regard - if BT cannot control what updates are sent to which hubs then that demonstrates a lack of control.  ISO 9001 and TickIT etc failures.

- Sharp business practice.

Any company can make a mistake - how they resolve the situation is what matters. So far I am not impressed.

I have now trawled through the BT Forums and found that there appears to be a systemic issue or something worse going on.

Cheers,

Tim

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Andy_N,

Local connection speeds without Infinity are aweful, there are several BT non-Infinity users.  With 12 networks available locally visible from my house there is serious wireless channel contention - "my" BT FON and Openreach services use the same channel so my wireless service is degraded as well as loosing some bandwidth. Doesn't take long to determine this with the correct tools.

Bottom line is I did not sign up for BT FON, as an existing customer I should not have been Opted In, as stated I will get not benefit as I do not use mobile wireless connections only a degraded service.

It seems a third party hub may be the only solution - any suggestions?

Cheers,

Tim

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

if the wireless is so congested in your area then why not use a wired network around your home that will remove the wireless contention in your home as to FON it uses 512k of your total bandwidth only if some one connects to it also your wireless service is not affected by the use of FON or OPENZONE
You are worrying about nothing the feature is an advantage to you as well as others
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

john46, Thanks for your advice. However, the principle is: I did not ask for it, I was promised that I would not be Opted In, I do not make use of it nor mobile wireless services - period, So why should I have to suffer it? It provides me with no advantage and degrades my service. Re: wired - True. I am not worried, just angry that to get the service I want I have to spend more of my own money either to install a wired network or replace my hub - Bottom line I have been sold a service under false pretenses I could have gone for a third party service 4 months earlier. Cheers, Tim
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

All I will say in over the last 5 years I have never had any one log on to my hub as the range just about reaches my front gate remember that the range is limited due to the low power radiated by the hub  and as has been said before  you would not notice is use either as you have priority to the connection 

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Today got home from work and BT FON had been disabled on my hub.

Thanks to whoever resolved this situation within 48hrs rather than 1 month as advised by the BT Opnreach help desk.

Cheers,

Tim

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I had my home hub 3 delivered last week, updated from hh2, it also said I was opted in, after 48hours it said I was opted out, i didnt need to complain,guess it takes a bit of time to sync with your account