cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kernowtom
Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: BT FON - who pays?

Not sure if I should start a new thread here for this one?

My neighbour uses my hub to use FON.

My usage never went above the limit for Option 1 previously but for the past few months I have received warning mails about coming near/ overrunning my 10 GB limit.

I had a warning for November and now find that I have passed the limit and will be charged £5. (Is this for the remainder of the month or does it count if I go over in December?)

I am pretty sure that my neighbour is using my hub2, directly, for FON.

I have changed the Hub2 itself, and the password and wireless key.

When he is using FON the blue lights flash on my Hub. I have unsubscribed to Fon but was reconnected.

I am sure that my passwords ect are secure.

Would really welcome any comments please.

0 Ratings
Martin33
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 19

@kernowtom wrote:

Not sure if I should start a new thread here for this one?

My neighbour uses my hub to use FON.

My usage never went above the limit for Option 1 previously but for the past few months I have received warning mails about coming near/ overrunning my 10 GB limit.

I had a warning for November and now find that I have passed the limit and will be charged £5. (Is this for the remainder of the month or does it count if I go over in December?)

I am pretty sure that my neighbour is using my hub2, directly, for FON.

I have changed the Hub2 itself, and the password and wireless key.

When he is using FON the blue lights flash on my Hub. I have unsubscribed to Fon but was reconnected.

I am sure that my passwords ect are secure.

Would really welcome any comments please.

I have a related problem which is currently being investigated by a forum moderator.   As soon as I get a reply I'll contact you.

Martin

0 Ratings
kernowtom
Contributor
Message 13 of 19

Thanks I will be grateful for that,
Noel
0 Ratings
PyramidPete
Message 14 of 19

After suspecting a FON user next door was draining my account (several recent BT over-usage warnings), while away last week I switched off my computers, checked my usage but left the hub on. I returned today to find 5G added to my usage. I doubt anyone has discovered my password so it must be this FON user that is adding to my bill?

0 Ratings
Raid1968
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 19

Potential storm brewing

Raid

Dynomutt
Contributor
Message 16 of 19

I can see this becoming a real problem if true and FON\OZ hotspot users are eating up broadband customers usage allowances, this will need to be addressed by BT as soon as possible as OZ\FON usage is not supposed to impact on customers own usage allowances, this could lead to some extreme customer dissatisfation not too mention unjustified overusage charges.

Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 19

I did some testing in November using my own FON connection and was able to upload large amounts (4-5GB) of data to an online backup using the FON connection without it showing on my BT online monitor. It did however show up in the hub stats. I'm on a 10GB limit - hence the testing and use of my FON hotspot.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
kernowtom
Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Hi there,

I started this chat some time ago.

I have got around the problem by setting my computer up as a Public Network which gives it greater security.

I have also unticked the "Connect automatically when this network is in range" box. This is a bit of a pain as I have to sign-in to wireless everytime I log on.

My usage is now just where I would expect it to be.

Regards

kernowtom

0 Ratings
Wheel_nut
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 19

This issue may be related to another thread in this Forum which suggests that there is a bug in the Home Hub V2b Firmware.

The bug caused LAN IP Addresses to be alocated to OpenZone and FON connections and if this is correct. it would account for the FON or Openzone usage being clocked up on the Users Account.

Can anybody verify this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
0 Ratings