cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notnil
Message 1 of 19

BT FON - who pays?

When I am out and about using BT FON, who pays? I mean who's download allocation is debited? Is it mine or is it the owner of the hotspot I am connected through?

Similarly, having opted in to BT FON, is my download limit compromised through use by other BT FON customers?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT FON - who pays?

Neither. It's free, but with limited speed.
H_Dawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 19

There's a FUP of 10,000 minutes a month, but you'd be hard pressed to use that up when you were out and about.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 19

@Notnil wrote:

When I am out and about using BT FON, who pays? I mean who's download allocation is debited? Is it mine or is it the owner of the hotspot I am connected through?

Similarly, having opted in to BT FON, is my download limit compromised through use by other BT FON customers?

Hi.

It's not strictly free, it's all included as part of the overall package with the BB service. The fact that you need to be a BT Broadband indcates this.

Note that "other" users can buy vouchers to access FON hotspots, so they pay.

Also due to the maximum speed of 512Kbps for the connection, it's a lot reduced than a typical "home" connection. Your download speed is not affected, since the FON user(s) will notice any speed reduction.

0 Ratings
mentonman
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Several days ago I posted a thread re:BTFon when accessed via your own Hub asking if it affected my monthly download.Having spoken to BTFon 08000223322 they say it doesn't yet when I use my laptop accessing BTFon via my own Hub it does.I know this by checking the broadband usage meter at BT and comparing with the meters on my PC and laptop.So the answer to the question does it cost then yes it can indirectly.

BTFon say they are looking into my problem and given me a fault report.So if anyone is concerned then it would be wise to do a check on their own setups.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 19

@mentonman wrote:

Several days ago I posted a thread re:BTFon when accessed via your own Hub asking if it affected my monthly download.Having spoken to BTFon 08000223322 they say it doesn't yet when I use my laptop accessing BTFon via my own Hub it does.I know this by checking the broadband usage meter at BT and comparing with the meters on my PC and laptop.So the answer to the question does it cost then yes it can indirectly.

BTFon say they are looking into my problem and given me a fault report.So if anyone is concerned then it would be wise to do a check on their own setups.

Hi.

The problem is that metering via PC and online are at different times. Unless you exactly match the midnight figure, then it could be very difficult to reconcile.

Not that the hub may well record the details, but as it's a different login, this is not included in your actual end stats.

However, usage of one's own BTFon is perhaps one of those strange (and possibly valid) loopholes where it might indeed count against the user. Unless the user is option 1 or 2 (or with a specific package of allowance), then it's probably not worth worrying about - since the speed is reduced to 512kbps max, and slower than any peak cap if relevant.

I can quite easily see that someone on option 1 or 2 may well believe that they can access the net "for free" on their own system if using BTFon when they have gone past their usage allowance. Of course, I'd say there is nothing to stop them using another FON access if available nearby.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 19

@mentonman wrote:

I'm currently connected to my own BTFON/Openzone access. My actual speed was the full speed of my usual connection, not 512Kbps. I know it's a different connection, since the IP address is different and I had to login (to BTOpenzone).

I would therefore anticipate that the usage of my own hotspot would be counted towards my overall figure.

0 Ratings
mentonman
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Hi Andy

I have just done the same as you and signed on to BTFon via my home hub and received a speed test result of 1.9Mbs which is the same as my normal broadband connection.As I should only be able to get 512kbs is this proof that something is amiss.Do BT realise that there could be many more set ups out there having this problem and are keeping quiet about it?

It begs the question of whether other BTFon members who may use my home hub are adding to my download usage.Still waiting for a BTFon reply regarding my report to them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 19

@mentonman wrote:

Hi Andy

I have just done the same as you and signed on to BTFon via my home hub and received a speed test result of 1.9Mbs which is the same as my normal broadband connection.As I should only be able to get 512kbs is this proof that something is amiss.Do BT realise that there could be many more set ups out there having this problem and are keeping quiet about it?

It begs the question of whether other BTFon members who may use my home hub are adding to my download usage.Still waiting for a BTFon reply regarding my report to them.

Sorry, I was referring to personal use of your own BTFon connection couting, not other people using the connection. I've not got another FON location near me to test access speeds.

I don't believe it's a problem, but I've yet to find the info regarding use of your own hotspot.

0 Ratings
allanm
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Andy ,  I have just tested BTFON / Openzone from my own HHub. After login to Openzone speedtest shows 0.5mbs. On my native connection speedtest shows 35.5mbs. In my case I am happy that things are working as I expected them to.

Allanm  

0 Ratings