cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deano11
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Hello all,for some reason BT FON activated by its self,im not to bothered but will it effect my broadband speed?, i only get half of 1 mb and so i need all what i can get!!!!, if it will affect my speed how do i deactivate BT FON?.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT FON

Go to solution

Hi Deano11 and welcome

Hmm, Fon will only use a maximum of 512kbps - which for you is over 50% of your speedSmiley Sad

But your own connection will take priority, so the more you need, the less Fon kicks out.

In some cases, the Fon speed will slowly but surely be reduced to 0kbps.

Also it depends on where you live - rural, chances are nobody will connect - city, they'll be fighting over it (possibly).

You could keep an eye on things and if you notice a reduced speed, you can opt out via this link - https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Deano11
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hey and thank you for your reply,i live in the country,the closest city to me is 25 miles away so i suppose thats a good thing lol,will BT ever consider upgrading rural exchanges?,its a shame we get left out alot as we need quick speeds just as much as big towns etc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@Deano11 wrote:

Hey and thank you for your reply,i

No probsSmiley Happy

live in the country,the closest city to me is 25 miles away so i suppose thats a good thing lol,

You should be 'safe' thenSmiley Very Happy

will BT ever consider upgrading rural exchanges?,its a shame we get left out alot as we need quick speeds just as much as big towns etc.

Good question. Search the forum, you're not alone...

The good thing about Fon is that if you connect to it, it does NOT* count towards your download limitSmiley Happy

*although some customers have reported that using Fon does/did count - glitch? I've no ideaSmiley Indifferent

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Deano11
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Well thanks to your link i know how to opt out now incase it gets any slower but will leave it on for the time being as it may b handy for me when im out and about.

0 Ratings