Message 21 of 40

Re: `BT FTTP 'On Demand'

And me please...
0 Ratings
Johnelf
Contributor
Message 22 of 40

You could always upload the pics to a Flickr account so we can all see?

John
0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 40

@D-ave wrote:

@jedpause wrote:

Hi robsonalan,

Good question... my understanding is that FoD is based on an extension of FTTC. I watched the engineer isntall the whole thing, and connected my new fibre (which not exist to my house before) to a new fibre node underground... no cabinet in sight. I took many pictures if anyone is remotely interested Man Very Happy

Me too please!

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 40

@D-ave wrote:

@jedpause wrote:

Hi robsonalan,

Good question... my understanding is that FoD is based on an extension of FTTC. I watched the engineer install the whole thing, and connected my new fibre (which did not exist to my house before) to a new fibre node underground... no cabinet in sight. I took many pictures if anyone is remotely interested Man Very Happy

Yes please! I am!  Smiley Very Happy

Here are a few of the install to house wall (not the internal Modem yet)

1. Fibre Splice Box - New, black cable, empty for now waiting for new fibre to be pushed through 200m away

Wall Box with bare outer cable

2. Fibre Manifold - pole on road opposite my house, right cable from top is my new one

Fibre Manifold - My Cable coming our right, top

3. From fibre manifold over the street to my wall, just like a telephone line. Took 20 mins

New Cable comes over teh road from the Fibre Manifold

4. Aggregation Node - 200m away where he connected my fibre from and 'blows' it with air to my house along the new, hollow cable.. hence he term 'blown fibre'

Aggregator Node with Fibre Trays

5. Little compressor that blows the air the forces the fibre up the new empty cable

Mini Compressor for blowing the fibre 200m away to my house

6. New four thread fibre pops up out of my splice box. 3x cutoff, one thin fibre remains, enough for four 1Gbps channels

Out pops the fibre... split into four, 3 cut one remained

7. Job done for part A. Engineer back in 10 days to install fibre modem inside house and activate 330/30 link

Fibre Splice Box Done - next step in 10 days

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 40

An update, my final installation and activation happened today, and so far so good.

Took away the HH3 they sent me, as it was really too basic and super slow. Installed an ASUS RT-AC66U

It is still stabilising and will take up to 10 days.... it is getting faster all the time (BT speedtest shows horrible speeds), Speedtest shows quite healthy speeds so far:-

282-21 Speedtest.png

What makes me laugh is the fastest site is Virgin Media Croydon! Who I just moved from as an ISP Smiley LOL

I ordered 160/20, I am on true FTTP, not FTTPoD, and my link is actually set for 330/30 Smiley Very Happy Engineer said it was good for up and over 1Gbps when they eventually start that...

Here are some extra pics of todays install, took about an hour...

Opened up previous work to start the fusing to internal modem

Opened up previous work to start the fusing to internal modem

Took the coating off the fibre on both sides

Took the coating off the fibre on both sides

Special tool to cut the fibre with perfect edge

Special tool to cut the fibre with perfect edge

And into the fusing gadget, you can see fibre and needles that blast some clever heat

Fibre from road and fibre to inside of house ready to fuse

15 Seconds and they are fused, 0.03dB attenuation, best the Engineer had seen for FTTP!

15 Seconds and they are fused, 0.0dB attenuation, best the Engineer had seen for FTTP

Fuse another sheath over the fused fibres for protection

Fuse another sheath over the fused fibres for protection

And Bob's your Auntie - Fibre Modem and Battery backup at right

And Bob's your Auntie

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 40

lol 0.03db. I best that on my first few splices. Managed to get 0.00db and 0.01db. 

0 Ratings
Johnelf
Contributor
Message 27 of 40

Thanks for all those pics.
Amazing all that work for now no install costs.
And yes envious of those speeds.
You can now do nothing 200 x faster 🙂
John
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 40

so am i right in thinking that they don't need to dig up the roads anymore and they just do the cable overhead

0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 40

@walkerx wrote:

so am i right in thinking that they don't need to dig up the roads anymore and they just do the cable overhead

Correct, all overhead like a phone line

0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 40

@Deathtrap3000 wrote:

lol 0.03db. I best that on my first few splices. Managed to get 0.00db and 0.01db. 

I guess you are an Engineer then...

Well, I', no expert but it certainly is a little quieter than copper 🙂

To be honest, it's is neither here nor there for me, as long as my Fibre performs 🙂

0 Ratings