cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 40

`BT FTTP 'On Demand'

Having seen the recent announcements that BT will be making an on demand FTTP service from 2013 using spare fibre capacity to the roadside DSLAM cabinets, I've heard a rumour that this may not be a residential consumer offering, but rather targeted at businesses. Ive no reason to doubt what I've been told, but has anyone else heard this?

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
jimmehr
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 40

Re: `BT FTTP 'On Demand'

I've seen posts about it around the web, While by the looks of it, it is mainly targetted at business' but I cant see a reason why it can not be installed at for a residential customer if they paid for it. You could have a leased line to a residential customer if they really wanted it and had the money.

I don't think openreach would be using the actual DSLAM for the FTTH/P but just using the dark (spare) fibres which run to it from the exchange. This is just a wild guess.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 40

I reckon it'll be aimed a businesses due to the cost but if you've got the wonga BT won't turn you away.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 4 of 40

Yea this is true, was trying to find the link on the Openreach website, but can't seem to find it. I think the charges were from £500-£1500 depending on obviously how far you are from the cabinet etc.

Will be available from 2013.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
DeanM
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 40

@Aarong wrote:

Yea this is true, was trying to find the link on the Openreach website, but can't seem to find it. I think the charges were from £500-£1500 depending on obviously how far you are from the cabinet etc.

Will be available from 2013.

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=14863CF1-DD70-4D79-83F8-2CDA88B3E51B

BT today announced it has held successful trials of “FTTP on demand” in St Agnes, Cornwall. This solution allows additional fibre to be run on demand to a home or business in a Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) enabled area, providing the customer with ultra-fast Fibre to the Premise (FTTP) broadband.

It's a fair bit away from being a commercial offering at the minute. No pricing has been announced either - the £500-£1500 was guessed on a ThinkBroadband news post I believe.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 6 of 40

@DeanM wrote:

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=14863CF1-DD70-4D79-83F8-2CDA88B3E51B

BT today announced it has held successful trials of “FTTP on demand” in St Agnes, Cornwall. This solution allows additional fibre to be run on demand to a home or business in a Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) enabled area, providing the customer with ultra-fast Fibre to the Premise (FTTP) broadband.

It's a fair bit away from being a commercial offering at the minute. No pricing has been announced either - the £500-£1500 was guessed on a ThinkBroadband news post I believe.

Thanks for that Dean, i couldn't find the article for the like of me 😄 
I thought the pricing was official, but fair enough. Probably that can't really give any actual pricing until closer to the time.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 40

I reckon the pricing will be individual and a survey will be needed to get an cost.
0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 8 of 40

Indeed, obviously how much fibre will be needed etc.

As much as i would love to buy into it, i think that the 80mb will suffice, even with extreme downloading on a 80mb connection would be perfect.
0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 40

@Aarong wrote:
Indeed, obviously how much fibre will be needed etc.

As much as i would love to buy into it, i think that the 80mb will suffice, even with extreme downloading on a 80mb connection would be perfect.

I think the amount of fibre will be insignificant compared to the labour, for my FTTP install the total labour was about 9 hours, and that was based on existing in ground plant, with a connection point (manifold), less than 10 metres from my house!

0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 10 of 40

@dcullum wrote:

I think the amount of fibre will be insignificant compared to the labour, for my FTTP install the total labour was about 9 hours, and that was based on existing in ground plant, with a connection point (manifold), less than 10 metres from my house!

It may be insignificant, but the fibre optic lines aren't cheap either, i'm pretty sure they will charge by the metre.

Also, i'm not to sure how they the fibre but i'm pretty show it's either fed or blown through the ducts for ease, so there shouldn't be too much labour. In time, they might find new ways to feed the fibre to the home.

0 Ratings