cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 40

Re: `BT FTTP 'On Demand'

Yes, with ducts the work should be straitforward, but many of the problems faced during the FTTP trials resulted from collapsed ducts that needed extensive groundwork to repair. Where the ducts are good an outer sheath is rodded from the nearest manifold or splitter, then a four core fibre cable is blown through this sheath to your premises. During the final and seperately scheduled visit the external fibre is fusion spliced to conect the interior cable/ONT. In practice all new builds have specific guidelines for cabling & ducting but if you go back 10/20 years you may have cables buried  without ducts, that will potentially require significant and expensive groundwork!

Like I say, my circumstances were good, but it still took 9 hours!

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 12 of 40

I see what you mean, 9 hours is a long time for a perfect installation so to speak.

At this moment in time, i can see myself sticking to the 80mb, hopefully soon when my cabinet goes live 😄

I definitely think that is enough download for me 😄
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 40

Time has moved on, and my experience was: ordered on BT site 16th May, Fibre installed 20th May, final activation 30th May. Not bad, not bad at all. I am on Ashford, Surrey exchange

£35/month, £0 install. 330mb/30mb stated by engineer on his records, even though I ordered 160/20. He said that doesn't exist anymore ?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else
0 Ratings
robsonalan
Contributor
Message 14 of 40

@jedpause,

Wa thats FTTP on Demand that you ordered or just FTTP.

Did you have the fibre to your house allready if so that is FTTP and not the same as FTTP On Demand (I think)

0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 15 of 40

Ashford where he is, is an FTTP exchange, not FTTP on Demand.

Nice for some.

0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 40

Hi robsonalan,

Good question... my understanding is that FoD is based on an extension of FTTC. I watched the engineer isntall the whole thing, and connected my new fibre (which not exist to my house before) to a new fibre node underground... no cabinet in sight. I took many pictures if anyone is remotely interested Man Very Happy

For that reason I believe it is true FTTP. But what baffles me is that he said he would install 330/30 and not 160/20, even though it apparently is ONLY FoD that has the 330/30.

I will ask him when he comes back on 30th. Ashford was one of the first 5 in UK to have this technology I have read and according to engineer (and seems to be always one of the first, I recall having some of the first 512k ADSL back at the beginning, the very day it started.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 40

Hmm,

I do know of a couple of of people locally that have 330/30 on regular FTTP, but I believe this is based on a business tarrif. In fact one individual has two 330/30 services presented on his ONT (two ports enabled). Quite impressive really!

Dale

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 40

Interesting about the 2 ports enabled.. would be great for say a secure server on one.

I understand each fibre to your home (there are four physical, and they cut 3 away, leaving one) has 4x potential ports that can be enabled, but they enable 1x normally.

Admittedly I have not seen a link to a way of actually ordering 330/30. Time will tell what I actually get on the 30th, fingers crossed
0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 40

As far as I know, my two ported friend has both of his 330Mb circuits provisioned on the one single fibre (leaving three remaining), which presents all sorts of interesting possibilities!

Certainly for myself, I only have the sluggish 160/15Mb service(sic), which is indeed provisioned using a single ONT port with only one of the three deployed fibres!

Dale

0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 20 of 40

@jedpause wrote:

Hi robsonalan,

Good question... my understanding is that FoD is based on an extension of FTTC. I watched the engineer isntall the whole thing, and connected my new fibre (which not exist to my house before) to a new fibre node underground... no cabinet in sight. I took many pictures if anyone is remotely interested Man Very Happy

Yes please! I am!  Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings