cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 31 of 40

Re: `BT FTTP 'On Demand'

very nice - just been looking at the pricing - quite expensive for home users still

£500 +VAT base install fee, £456 + VAT yearly rental, £200 + VAT minimum distance charge = £1387 for first year and that's before your charge for internet service as well

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 32 of 40

Yeah it seems to be quieter than copper Smiley Very Happy. The guidelines for openreach engineers are that the maximum noise loss should be no more than 0.05db, otherwise the spilce must be redone, although it will still work if its over.

@walkerx wrote:

so am i right in thinking that they don't need to dig up the roads anymore and they just do the cable overhead

If your current line is overhead, the fibre will follow. If your line is currently underground then assuming the ductwork is clear then they will put a new cable in the same duct. If the duct is blocked or you dont have a duct feeding your home and the cable is burried then it will need to be dug up and a new duct fitted/unblocked, possibly at cost to you.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 33 of 40

Pole opposite house, cable then underground in BT duct to cabinet. I'm 400ft from standard cabinet then another 100ft from BT fibre cab
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 34 of 40

You will be ok then as they run the fibre up the poles and stick kit up there before running new tubing to it and blowing fibre through to your home.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 35 of 40

Openreach will replace your existing dropwire with a fibre drop tube which is basically a hollow tube (which the fibre is blown through) that also has a copper pair of wires with it.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
fibre16xbox
Contributor
Message 36 of 40

hello i am due to have fttp fitted on the 23rd can i ask what do they do on the out side then doing inside on the 1st what speed do you get please as i am new to this thank you how far is your exchange sir from were you fibre comes from i am getting hub 4 160mg down 20mg up i under stand bt have now put this to 330 line 30 up i will be paying 35.00 month + line rSmiley Very Happyent.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 37 of 40

It doesn't matter how far the fibre comes, you will get the stated speed.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
munrobasher1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 40

Thanks for taking the time to post this thread and photos - most illuminating and has filled in a lot of holes in my knowledge of fibre installation. Cheers, Rob.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 39 of 40

May not be the same infrastructure as this is a few years old now.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 40 of 40

@Devon_Dave wrote:
May not be the same infrastructure as this is a few years old now.

It isn't. They use CBT now.

0 Ratings