Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeLanglois
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT False Advertising My Speed?

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could all help me? I moved into a property a year ago, and my average speed is around 2.5mb. Coming from Fibre Optic, this was a massive killer. I was looking online to see if BT Infinity was available in my area, and I see that BT are advising for my property speeds of "up to" 15mb, with my average being 13mb.

I called BT and spoke to a few people (including a sales agent who said if I was a new customer, she could confidently tell me my speed would be 13mb) and raised a complaint, that I have not heard about since roughly the end of last year.

I understand that putting the words "up to" gives them wiggle room when it comes to providing speed/advertising speed, but surely if the speed they are advertising if 5x faster than what they are actually providing, that is just going too far?

I have tried to chase up my complaint with their "priority BT Care centre" but not heard a reply.

Can anyone recommend what my next steps could be? Are they actually allowed to advertise speeds this grossly incorrect  in practice?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT False Advertising My Speed?

Enter your phone number and post results. Remember to delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MikeLanglois
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER Telephone Number on Exchange EASTBOURNE is served by Cabinet 9

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 13 -- 11.5 to 15 Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 13 Up to 1.5 11.5 to 15 Available

ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available

WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

Other Offerings Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises. The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Jan-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014. If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated. Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check. Thank you for your interest.

Is this what you needed?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

If you have the hh4 then go to troubleshooting then logs/wan and looks for Lines should look like this

19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream

19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

can you run btspedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic testt and post results. 

btspeedtester

sorry the stats we're what I was looking for

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MikeLanglois
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Sorry i am not sure I could find what you were talking about in the logs?

Speed test results:

Download Speed (mbps) 2.84

Upload Speed (mbps) 0.41

Ping latency (ms) 59.38

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download speed: 2.84mbps

Download speed achieved during the test was - 2.84 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2.98 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload speed: 0.41mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.41Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Is this what you needed?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

The hub logs can be found in troubleshooting in the home hub interface
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 / 5 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

The 2 lines of stats from your hh4 would help

however your post shows you are on adsl2 so you should be getting a faster speed

are you connected to be test socket?  If not can you connect to the test socket with a new filter. test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
MikeLanglois
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Are these the logs you are referring too?

13:47:32, 02 Apr.(1693836.180000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
13:47:28, 02 Apr.(1693832.400000) DSL line rate: 542 Kbps upstream, 3384 Kbps downstream

I have also ran my internet through my test socket before (when recommended to by someone at BT over the phone) and my speed remained the same.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Is it possible for you to conenct to test socket again please then repost the2 new lines of stats. This will eliminate your internal wiring from causing any problem

try quiet line test. Dul 17070 option 2. Should be quiet and best with corded phone

0 Ratings
MikeLanglois
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

I can do but I should say at the start of my complaint someone from BT came round and ran tests on the test socket and called a number (I believe the same number you have put there).

Their opinion was that the speed I am getting now is what I should be getting, but BT continues to tell me I can get faster speeds.

I will try the test socket and quiet line test when I can.

0 Ratings