cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 201 of 1,492

Re: BT Fibre 900 Upgrade / Smart Hub 2 upload throttling

Go to solution

Best thing to do is to consider the opening of a Complaint. 

I called to speak to faults but they raised a complaint and now I am being assisted under case management.  I don’t have a resolution yet but it feels more officially managed and I am not being ‘fobbed’ off.  They have to work through a process of troubleshooting but that’s OK so long as we get there  

To be fair a 900 download service is 10 upload isn’t going to work is it. You would saturate the uplink with ack packets

0 Ratings
Message 202 of 1,492

Go to solution

@danio1972wrote:

To be fair a 900 download service is 10 upload isn’t going to work is it. You would saturate the uplink with ack packets

Modern operating systems don't send an ack for each received packet - maybe 20 years ago this was the case with TCP?

0 Ratings
Message 203 of 1,492

Go to solution

Fair enough.. I'm not a networking guru.. but I was meaning that the action on a 300 connection of downloading at full speed uses 4 out of the 50 in upstream bandwidth, therefore if we multiply by 3 [for the 900 connection] an upload speed of 10 as a minimum service level would cause an issue - no??

0 Ratings
Message 204 of 1,492

Go to solution

@danio1972  No.

0 Ratings
Message 205 of 1,492

Go to solution

So I've just performed a factory reset x 2 on my Smart Hub 2 as I was only getting 350mb Max after upgrading but I was getting 120mb upload.

I'm now still getting 350mb max, but my upload has been capped to 50mb...deary me.

Anyone had the same experience rather than getting the cap straight away?

0 Ratings
Message 206 of 1,492

Go to solution

Sorry for double posting, but I've just restored from my backup configuration and I've now gone back to 120mb upload but failing to break 300mb on download still.

Not sure if my configuration can be used to help others having the issue?

Anyone know the best steps for fixing my download?

0 Ratings
Message 207 of 1,492

Go to solution

This is the procedure I was given after my profile and firmware versions were checked by the FTTP team. Ultimately it didn’t help my upload speed problem where I’m banded to the Fibre 500 limit but have the right Fibre 900 profile. The FTTP team could see higher speed downloads afterwards. I’ve not checked to see if anyone has already posted this procedure elsewhere.

According to the FTTP team it needs to be followed exactly.

1. Power down the Smarthub2.
  2. Power down the ONT (in my case with me having the non battery backup it was a case of simply unplugging).
  3. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from both the ONT and the Smarthub.
  4. Wait a minimum of 5 mins.
  5. Power the ONT back on (do not reconnect the cable at this point).
  6. Wait for the PON light on the ONT to go solid.
  7. Power up the Smarthub2 (do not reconnect the cable at this point).
  8. Wait for the Smarthub2 to go purple / mauve colour.
  9. Connect the cable to the ONT and then the SmartHub2.
  10. SmartHub light will eventually go blue (assuming it's not turned off in settings).

Now wait about an hour before running a speed test. Best of luck if you try it.

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
Message 208 of 1,492

Go to solution

Hi there I received my new SH2 this morning (Sunday!)... impressed... anyway it was to rule anything out as my old one was temperamental ... but my old one had the latest firmware 17 .... however this new hub is firmware 15!!! Anyone any idea how to manually update it or get it to push out the new firmware update automatically please?? Just called the helpline and I got the usual well your speeds are 890 download so there isn’t a problem.... I said look I am being techy here you don’t understand.... I am on FIbre 900 and it needs to be the firmware 17 update .....they didn’t understand!! Help please. Thanks Neil

0 Ratings
Message 209 of 1,492

Go to solution

I had an interesting conversation with an engineer yesterday. He turned up without any notes of the case, but after making a couple of calls to his bosses he returned. As soon as I told him I had upgraded from fibre 300 to 900 he immediately reacted and nodded. According to the engineer this is a nationwide issue and is at the very top at the list of complaints at the moment (hence all you guys here having similar issues). He informed me the issue is very well known, but the solution is not - He believed it to be that hardware across the entire network is not always up to providing speeds this high, from a data centre and cabinet level. He said there is currently no known solution - with a lucky 30% or so getting beyond 500mpbs dl and up to 900 mbps dl & 100up speeds. He suggested to speak to BT about seeking out of the contract, anything bt can do with price or about cancelling the 900.

Without me saying anything, he said more often than not people that were on ultrafrast fibre 300 were getting consistently steadier and better speeds than they are with 900, and 900 actually being worse than their previous package. He seemed to know all this without me saying anything so... Doesn't bode well.

0 Ratings
Message 210 of 1,492

Go to solution

@neil8471  You cannot manually force a firmware update  the helpdesk can't either.. Just connet the hub and it will do it automatically.

0 Ratings