cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cheesepasty
Beginner
Message 1 of 46

BT Fibre Broadband in Newton-le-Willows - Any updates? Promised in 2013 but still nothing for my cab

Hi.

We were promised fibre broadband from BT Openreach in Newton-le-Willows in 2013 (http://www.sthelens.gov.uk/newsroom/2012/09/25/newton-to-get-superfast-broadband/) but the exchange itself was only made fibre enabled in 2015. Since then, only around 3 cabinets in Newton-le-Willows out of 30-odd have been upgraded to fibre.

DSL Checker results are below. It says will be enabled between now and March 2017 but I have been in touch with my MP who has escalated this with my ISP and BT Openreach have told them that it will definitely not be this finanical year (even though DSL Checker says it will be) and can't say when it will be. The CodeLook website says my cabinet should have been part of Phase 11a 2013-2014 but obviously this has not happened. Merseyside Connected have finished now and they were only concerned with business connections. Virgin Media aren't in my street. It's so frustrating to be stuck on 5mb.

Does anyone have any idea why it's taking so long and what the problem is? There a much more rural areas around who already have fibre and Newton-le-Willows is being left behind.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 01925XXXXXX on Exchange NEWTON-LE-WILLOWS is served by Cabinet 2

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 11--9.5 to 13Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 11Up to 19.5 to 13Available
ADSL MaxUp to 5.5--4 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Cabinet to be enabled between Apr-16 and Mar-17. Date to be confirmed once the survey is complete..

0 Ratings
45 REPLIES 45
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 46

Re: BT Fibre Broadband in Newton-le-Willows - Any updates? Promised in 2013 but still nothing for my

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

Thie information you have been give by Openreach, would be correct, so there is nothing else you can do.

This is a public forum which can be viewed worldwide, so please do not post any personal information, especially phone numbers, account numbers, fault numbers, address information or email addresses, as this could be used to impersonate you.

Thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 46

Re: BT Fibre Broadband in Newton-le-Willows - Any updates? Promised in 2013 but still nothing for my

only openreach or BDUK wil be able to give you more information about your cabinet  there is no contact from this forum or BT Retail to openreach

try openreach form  https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?id=7214&embed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cheesepasty
Beginner
Message 4 of 46

Thanks for all your replies.

I know BT won't reply or see it, I just wondered if anyone else in my area had rang up and complained or got any more information about it?

BT Openreach information is very often unreliable at best, people may have heard different things!

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 46

You must be on ADSL1?

That chart advises you should get around 11 from ADSL2+.

Can you post the connection stats from your home hub manager page?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Odai
Contributor
Message 6 of 46

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has had any update on this?

I am in a similar situation, connected to the Newton-le-Willows exchange but on Cabinet 15 - codelook also states "Phase 11a 2013-2014". I have also been getting the "enabled between Apr 16 and Mar 17" message on dslchecker for the past year or so. 

I am getting awful speeds (averaging 6-7 mbps download). There seems to have been a local campaign last year by residents in this constituency who are frustrated with the lack of progress also that got our MP involved, but the final outcome was for BT Openreach to respond that the programme for enabling cabinets is based on commercial decisions as most of our cabinets are not funded by Merseyside Connected.

Odai.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 46

@Odai

write to openreach and see if they give you any up to date information  if you get auto reply then send again until yo get a reply from an actual person  https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?id=7214&embed

I don't consider a download speed between 6/7mb as awfull - there are many where I live lucky to get 2mb connection speed never mind download speed and I am sure many on adsl board would give anything to swap places with you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Odai
Contributor
Message 8 of 46

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and did get a response from them fairly quickly. Body of email is copied below. As you can tell it is about as generic as it can possibly be. Is there a possibility of getting more specific information if I were to continue to pester them or is this about alll they can tell me?

-------------------------------

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about Superfast Fibre Broadband availability.

You are connected to [Exchange Name: NEWTON-LE-WILLOWS, Cabinet: 15]

We’ve recently reassessed our remaining fibre delivery programme and recalculated when your cabinet will be delivered.

We’ve factored in the physical amount of work left along with operational commitments.

Fibre broadband

I’d like to reassure you of our ambition to bring superfast broadband to as much of the UK as rapidly as possible. We’re pushing ahead to complete one of the most ambitious and largest rollouts of Superfast fibre anywhere in the world. Our £3bn investment coupled with the government’s BDUK programme means fibre currently passes more than 80% of homes and businesses in the UK. We’re working in partnership with the majority of councils across the UK to increase the fibre footprint to over 95% by the end of 2017.

This forecast will be updated (and may come forward) once we have plans in place. This will be based on forecasting and our best estimates on completing physical and technical tasks needed to provide fibre to your area.

To keep up to date on the progress, you can check online at http://www.superfastopenreach.co.uk/where-and-when/.

Finally

I’m sorry if this isn’t the answer you’d hoped for. We are working very hard to rollout fibre broadband as quickly as we can.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 46

As I said in my previous post if you get an auto reply from openreach then you need to send form again until you get a reply from an actual person. So yes write again to openreach

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 46

It seems Openreach have said you're connected to cabinet 15 although your DSL checker results show cabinet 2. You need to query this with them in your reply.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings