cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

BT Fibre slow

Alright, so, I've been on BT for years. Since around June 2016. We had been on it previously, but that was back in 2005 ish. So, we already had a BT line installed. Anyway, since about a week ago, my fibre broadband has had really annoying latency and a download drop. I phoned up BT about this and they tested the line from their end and said that there is no issue on the line. They figured it must be my old Smart Hub acting up, so they sent out one of the new Smart Hub 2's. Hooked it up and it's the exact same speed, exact same high latency. I've got screenshots of the technical log and my data rate is EXTREMELY slow. I've got a single socket, so I've always used a filter and no issues at all. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I don't appreciate paying £54 a month for THIS, especially at this time of year.

I figured that it may be the local cabinet in my area, but I'm not sure.

BT home hub stats 1.pngBT home hub stats 2.png

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Fibre slow

you currently have a 40mb connection speed but noise margin  at 7.3db is higher that normal 6db

you connection time is only 6 min was that a manual reset or router dropping connection?  are you resetting often or is router dropping connection often?

check for line noise   dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

have you changed the filter if it is old

have you turned off smart setup  https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

I don't see why Smart Setup would have anything to do with it, but yeah, it's off. And no, I've had the same filter since 2016.

I would, but the phone that I currently have hasn't worked for ages. You can hear the dead noise whenever it's ready to use, but I can't actually phone anyone on the thing.

And no, it doesn't drop often. That was me resetting the router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

filters don't last forever and replacing would probably be a good idea in any case

with the higher the normal noise margin and the probability that you are in a banded profile I would check the logs to see if router dropping connection maybe overnight or when not in use.

testing phone line for ringtone and then line noise is the most basic check when your broadband is poor  it can also save you getting engineer visit when problem is in your home resulting in the call out charge of £85

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings