cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
antsean
Message 1 of 3

BT Fon Connections Problems Using Mobile

Hope someone can shed some light on the problem I'm having as am not great with technology!

I have just bought an android mobile (Galaxy Ace) and installed the BT Fon app with no problem. The question I have though is why when I am at home, despite my BT Home hub being switched on and my opting in to BT Fon to share my connection in general, can I not pick up the connection so that I do not have to pay for my internet access from my mobile?

Everytime I try and connect to BT Fon from home, I cannot access anything as it says the signal strength is poor and then the connection just goes completely.

My phone picks up my hub with no problems at all-but I do not want to use this as my phone provider seems to be charging me for doing so. It will actually be interseting to see what happens when I am out and about regarding BT Fon. In the meantime if anyone could tell me if there is anything I have done wrong etc than I would really appreciate it-and remember I am useless with technology-so please be gentle with me!!!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Fon Connections Problems Using Mobile

welcome to the forum

does your mobile see your BTFON ssid or could it be a neighbours BTFON signal?  connecting to your own home wifi network should not incur any charges

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Fon Connections Problems Using Mobile

@antsean wrote:

My phone picks up my hub with no problems at all-but I do not want to use this as my phone provider seems to be charging me for doing so.

Someone might correct me, but I think no mobile phone provider charges for using wifi; they wouldn't have many takers! Google throws up some discussions but they appear to result from mistakes. There are 4 smartphones in my house with various providers, and all use the BT hub without charge. 

Your phone should give priority to wifi when a recognised connection is available. But to make doubly sure that you're not connecting to a mobile network in error, uncheck "Mobile network" under Settings / Wireless & Networks when you want to connect to the internet by wifi.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings