cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
resisnake
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 24

BT Fon/Openzone

Firstly, is BT Fon and Openzone the same thing?!

As a test, I tried connecting to an 'Openzone' wireless connection on my laptop, and it just wouldn't connect even though the signal is excellent.

I am tempted to opt in for BT Fon, but given that I'm only getting 3.5mb as it is, people could use my connection and bring my speeds down even lower.

Is it even safe to let someone connect to you like this? Cheers

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT Fon/Openzone

@resisnake wrote:

Firstly, is BT Fon and Openzone the same thing?!

Yes and No

BTFon comes from our home hub, as does BTOpenzone or BTOpenzone-H

BTOpenzone can also come from a premimum location - Cafe, hotel etc.

BTOpenzone-B comes from a business hub

As a test, I tried connecting to an 'Openzone' wireless connection on my laptop, and it just wouldn't connect even though the signal is excellent.

If you're not opted in to Fon, you'll not get a connection to Openzone unless you pay for it, though you may actually already be opted in!! - All new customers and re contracting customers, since March 2009, will automatically be opted in to Fon.

I am tempted to opt in for BT Fon, but given that I'm only getting 3.5mb as it is, people could use my connection and bring my speeds down even lower.

You can your status on the BTFon website

The maximum bandwidth allocated for Fon/Openzone is 512kbps, though you, using your hub, will have the priority connection so others using the Fon/Openzone part of your hub can have their speed reduced to nil

Is it even safe to let someone connect to you like this? Cheers

It's safe as Fon/openzone use a seperate part of the hub

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
resisnake
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 24

Ah ok, no I wasn't opted in so think I'll opt in now.

BTopenzone-H is the one I was trying to connect to. Wouldn't even give me a login page though.

0 Ratings
resisnake
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 24

I just opted in via the BT fon website. Will I need to do anything with my router? One of the settings in my router is 'activate service' so I clicked it and it said I'm not yet opted in, but I wasn't aware I had to activate anything?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 24

There appears to be some issues with connecting to some hotspots, though BTOpenzone-H is supposed to be the bug free hotspot. Look for previous attempts on your device referring to BTFon and BTOpenzone and delete them. Then try again.

Your hub should become active as a Fon/openzone hotspot in 72 hours. You don't need to do anything else at this stage.

0 Ratings
resisnake
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 24

I don't get this. I just connected to BT Openzone and was presented with a page where I needed to login to either Openzone or FON. Obviously I put my user details into the Openzone bit and it was all fine.

To test it, I clicked on to connect to a BT FON network and it automatically connected and I didn't have to log in? Surely I need to - how do they know I'm allowed to use FON?

Also, I'm wondering if whether I don't sign up to FON, and can still use BT Openzone?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

Once you are logged in, it does not matter whether you use FON or Openzone, the hub that you are logged into, remembers your details until you log out, or time out.
0 Ratings
JohnWessel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

I have been a member of the BT Fon community for over a year. However my homehub 2 does not recognise that I am a member, and is not transmitting BTFON or BTOpenZone. It has transmitted them in the past. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 24

Hi JohnWessel and welcome

You can kick start your hub by opting out of BTFon via the website and then immediately opt back in. The opt in signal should then be resent in 72 hours.

0 Ratings
JohnWessel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Well I did that on Friday 4th and it is still saying I am not part of the BTFON community when I try to Activate it.

0 Ratings