cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
falkirk81
Beginner
Message 1 of 97

BT Fon access problems

I am on holiday and got my laptop with me. I have a BT Fon signal nearby with an 'excellent' signal strength. Trying to connect to either the BT Fon or BT Openzone results in the 'limited or no connectivity' message.

I have tried everything with my laptop, but it works fine at home on my BT Home Hub so I do not think it is my laptop.

Also, strangely enough, my iPhone connects up without issue to the BT Fon point when using the new iPhone app.

Any ideas on whats going on?

Steven

0 Ratings
96 REPLIES 96
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 97

Re: BT Fon access problems

Are you seeing the landing page?

If not, launch your browser and go to this url - https://www.btopenzone.com:8443/

Any joy

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
falkirk81
Beginner
Message 3 of 97

Tries that, still nothing. Won't connect to any landing page, automatically or manually 😞
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 97

@falkirk81 wrote:
Tries that, still nothing. Won't connect to any landing page, automatically or manually 😞

+1AddEmoticons04236.gif

Well, you're not alone on this and to say I'm bleeped off is an understatement!!

Since your post, I thought I'd give it a go....

what a BIG mistake that was.

From 2045 to 0000 I've tried everything I can think of/tweak/alter/turn off/change/disable/enable/reset/delete/refresh etc etc etc etc etc etc and I too can't get online via Fon or Oz.

I'm sick of seeing Limited this that and the other

I've not changed any settings since I was last able to, so I can only say, it must be something else........

Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 97

**THE REASON FOR** BT Fon access problems

Well well wellSmiley Mad

The reason that you/me/everyone else is having problems with logging into Fon has just been answered

There is a known (only BT knew it though) firmware issue with the current Fon/Openzone loaded on the BTHHv2!!

It is currently caching ALL wifi traffic, that is any wifi traffic from any device on any network. This soon fills the hub and it can not issue the correct ip address needed for the Fon/Openzone network

The workround IS to fully reset the hub to it's factory default setting, this should then force an updated firmware, which should allow a connection.

I've NOT done this and probably won't, but have been opted out and back in to see if it will sort this out.

I'll be checking in 24 hours or so.

(Wished we could of been told about this, without having to ask)

edit. So I guess those that can't connect will have to start banging on doors until they find the hub owner and ask them to reset their hub.......Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
falkirk81
Beginner
Message 6 of 97

That does explain it somewhat. Then why does my iPhone using the latest Bt fon app work fine?

Not much I can do as it's not my Bt home hub so can't restart a hub that I don't have access too.

Really this is terrible service from BT. I allow others to use my Fon spot through my home hub in exchange for access when I am not at home.

Surely more people are complaining about this to warrant something being done?
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 97

I'd have to guess it's because you've got the BT Fon app....

Some of us don't install anything to do with BT (mainly the CD for PC/Laptops).

0 Ratings
alan_mcgann
Message 8 of 97

Seems this is an on going issue I have not (so far) managed to connect to a single BTFON hotspot....  I am pretty much about to cancel my opt in for this service as i am sorry but it is just **bleep**!

Can any of the BT staff or Tech's give us an official answer / Solution?  prefer one which does not entail the hotspot owner being asked to reset their home router by a stranger on their door step!! 

Surely if this is a firmware issue a general update can be sent out ??

0 Ratings
Raid1968
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 97

I called about this issue and was told that the firmware update keeps getting delayed and has been pushed back until April.

Raid

0 Ratings
si-mon
Beginner
Message 10 of 97

I am having the same problem in Inverness.  Haven't had a reliable BTFON/Openzone connection since we signed up to it.

It connects for a few minutes if we are lucky and then drops out.   Excellent signal strength but no connectivity.

It would be nice to get an official response from BT about this.

0 Ratings