cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 97

Re: BT Fon access problems

Just as a matter of interest, I did some experiments with a HH2 which I have here, and I can confirm that it will not issue IP addresses for BT FON or Openzone.

It seems to me that there must be an awful lot of HH2s out there with this problem, which must be severely restricting the number of available hotspots. Those hotspots with the older home hubs seem to work fine.

I would have thought that this software fix would be rolled out as a matter of urgency.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 97

Morning Keith

Yes, I have to agree with you, there MUST be an awful lotSmiley Mad

I've still unsuccessfully managed to obtain the correct IP address for FON/Openzone

Obviously the opt out and opt in (carried out by the FON techies) clearly does NOT work.

I've not tried a full reset of the v2 hub as I've altered the default settings and imho I shouldn't have to...

(maybe BT will update this thread and also extend the competition they're currently running - win an IPad - if you use FON/Openzone before the 25th...No chance for me then!)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 97

Well I thought I would try it just to see what happened. It took about 24 hours for FON to become active, but it was useless !

I still have other issues with the HH2, so it will go back into its box, and I will continue using my HH1 version 6.2.2.6. If the problem is ever fixed, I may try it again.

I have managed to use the HTC FON app on a number of occasions, mainly at places where there has been a BT Business hub.
At least the Openzone notification on the phone only pops up if it gets a valid IP address, otherwise with all these faulty hotspots, it would be pointless.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 97

tbh, I'd been opted out for some time now, due to some wireless experimentsSmiley Indifferent, but as I'm the only FON/Oz spot in my area, I thought what the heck, I'd give others a chance....

Again have to agree, useless

If you don't mind me asking, what issues do you have with the v2, they're a quality built router!!Smiley Very Happy

This current problem only affects the v2 (maybe v3 - don't quote me on that). I'm beginning to think BT should rename the v2 the "The BT Google Streetview Wifi Caching Home Duff Hub V2".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 97

Well I was sent a V2 hub by Craig, when I was having broadband speed problems, which turned out to be a phone line unbalance problem.

I could not get the port mapping, the old hub phones, and the wireless to work properly, so I reverted back to my old hub, which was fine.

Recently I decided to use a separate wireless access point with my old hub (an old Voyager 2091), so I could get better access control and more throughput, as media streaming on combined router/wireless units seemed to result in dropped packets.

It also made it easier to try the HH2 again, without using the wireless path. I did manage to get the old hub phones working after resetting them. I also think I sorted the port mapping out.

The HH1 leaves the ports open all the time, even after the application using the port closes, however the HH2 closes them right away, which is a bit confusing. Testing the ports with http://www.canyouseeme.org/ shows them as closed, unless they have just been used. This made me think that the HH2 was not working correctly. I use a program called Orb, to stream media and monitor a webcam.

If the FON issue is ever sorted, then I may try it again, as it provides a local hotspot for people to use. There is no point when it is not working.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 97

Ah I see

Never tried port mapping or the older hub phone on my v2.

At this present time, the wireless does perform well, but that might be down to using the type b...

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 97

@Keith and DS Ive found this most interesting as I've been puzzled why I couldn't connect to Fon in the past. I've opted out for a while now as I couldn't fathom it. Grateful to you both.
AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 97

No probs AQSmiley Wink

I know that forum user 'BRACKEN' has gone for the full reset

( read on from - http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Out-About/BTFON-GON/m-p/150065#M4204 )

Yet to see the reply post stating if it now works...

0 Ratings
jookes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 97

Add me to the list of unhappy BTFON customers.

2 laptops, as of 17th March, one refuses to get a web based web connection. Other one's still fine.

Frustrating with a capital S.

P.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 97

Update

Forum user BRACKEN carried out a full reset and it now works

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Out-About/BTFON-GON/m-p/153453#M4266

At my end, well I'm not going to reset but something odd has occured

Wheres Oz gone.JPG

Where's Oz gone?