cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joseph1945
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 44

Re: BT Fon connection on Ubuntu

The details in my previous post were my connections currently. I am connected through my own wirless router. There is no BT Fon in range at the moment to test. I deleted all the connections in Edit Connections as you suggested. I have a feeling they were stale connections and this may be part of the problem. I shall now have to try again tomorrow when a BT Fon comes in range.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 32 of 44

@joseph1945 wrote:

Glad you have it working on Ubuntu. I wonder if you can tell us what wifi hardware you are using? This may be the difference since both of you are using Netbooks.

If you think it'll help:

Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

...but I think you're barking up the wrong tree. 

Your Fon connection is configured incorrectly.

0 Ratings
joseph1945
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 44

@IanC wrote:

@joseph1945 wrote:

Glad you have it working on Ubuntu. I wonder if you can tell us what wifi hardware you are using? This may be the difference since both of you are using Netbooks.

If you think it'll help:

Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

...but I think you're barking up the wrong tree. 

Your Fon connection is configured incorrectly.

The question is, why is it configured wrongly? Since I do nothing different in sellecting available connections, why is one configured differently to another? I have left all settings at default and not confiured anything myself.

0 Ratings
joseph1945
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 44

Can you tell me, then, if this connection is configured correctly? It is to my wireless router and works. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ joseph@joseph-System-Product-Name:~$ nm-tool NetworkManager Tool State: connected (global) - Device: wlan1 [ap00300A5C121D] ---------------------------------------------- Type: 802.11 WiFi Driver: rtl8192cu State: connected Default: yes HW Address: 64:66:B3:0A:49:6D Capabilities: Speed: 1 Mb/s Wireless Properties WEP Encryption: yes WPA Encryption: yes WPA2 Encryption: yes Wireless Access Points (* = current AP) SKY8B39D: Infra, 7C:4C:A5:9D:C8:61, Freq 2412 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 62 WPA2 *ap00300A5C121D: Infra, 00:22:3F:5C:38:28, Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 76 WEP IPv4 Settings: Address: 192.168.0.4 Prefix: 24 (255.255.255.0) Gateway: 192.168.0.1 DNS: 192.168.0.1 - Device: eth0 ----------------------------------------------------------------- Type: Wired Driver: forcedeth State: unavailable Default: no HW Address: 48:5B:39:BA:7C:22 Capabilities: Carrier Detect: yes Wired Properties Carrier: off joseph@joseph-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo lshw -C network [sudo] password for joseph: *-network description: Wireless interface physical id: 1 bus info: usb@1:5 logical name: wlan1 serial: 64:66:b3:0a:49:6d capabilities: ethernet physical wireless configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192cu driverversion=3.2.0-58-generic-pae firmware=N/A ip=192.168.0.4 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn joseph@joseph-System-Product-Name:~$
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 44

Yes, that looks ok. I presume you are not currently seeing a BT Fon network.

0 Ratings
joseph1945
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 44

Yes, that works. But at the monent there is no BT Fon in range.

However, I tried a Ubuntu Live CD in my old laptop. Here it can neither cofigor the inbuilt WiFy nor connect to the BT Fon correctly with a USB TP-Link. This USB TP-Link is listed on a Ubuntu website as working perfectly in Ubuntu. It lets me connect alright to my own router wirelessly, but fails on the BT Fon in the same way as on my other computer.

So I though I would try a different Linux Live-CD and got the latest Fedora. I booted this up on my laptop and it dtected the internal Wireless hardware and when I tried to connect to BT Fon it workd. I open Firefox and it took my to the BT Openzone sign in site without any problems.

This would appear to indicate that my USB TP-Link does not work poperly with Ubuntu, or Linux in general. It lets me connect to normal WEP secure connections, but has a problem with BT Fon. But it works perfectly in Windows XP and Windows 7.

This indicates there is a problem with Ubuntu and USB TP-Link. Yet the strange thin is that Ubuntu immediately regognizes it and connest to it without needing to get any dirivers. That is what the Ubuntu site says about it that recomends it as compatible with Linux and Ubuntu. But actually there is a problem with it of some kind.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 44

All very odd, I could understand it if the USB adaptor also had a problem with your normal router, but BT Fon is just another wireless network, so why it works perfectly with one and not the other I don't know. The only thing I can suggest is that it is down to signal level as I guess the BT FON network you are connecting to is a weak signal.I have an old desktop computer that I play with Linux on, that was very iffy using a USB adaptor but seemed to prefer an unencrypted connection!

0 Ratings
joseph1945
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 44

I agree, it is odd. Yet the USB TP-Link works perfectly in Windows on both my PC and the Laptop. The old laptop is XP Windows. Ubuntu cannot connect to the inbuilt wirless in the laptop, but the Fedora Live CD does. I have tried several different Live CD's in it and Fedora is the only one that can configure the internal wireless - which is to say it is configured during bootup.

0 Ratings
joseph1945
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 44

I should add that the BT Fon signal was strong this afternoon when I tried this. And remember it works in Windows without any problems, even with a fairly weak signal. That just makes log-in slow.

I need to find a USB wireless device that will work properly with Ubuntu.The anoying thing is that I bought it because it is listed as working perfectly in Ubuntu.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 44

What did nm-tool show when attempting to connect?

0 Ratings