cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joseph1945
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 44

Re: BT Fon connection on Ubuntu

I said I would send the connections readings for the failed connection in Federa. However, Federa Live CD does not recognize the commads;
nm-tool
sudo lshw -C network

I suppose these commands are unique to Ubuntu and different commands are required for Fedora.

Just to summarize. Federa connects successfully on my Compaq NX6325 using its internal Wifi connection, including BT Fon.

But using TP-Link USB adapter it connects to connections requiring WEP key, but appears to connect to BT Fon but in fact does not. It would seem that Linux distros don't configure TP-Link fully, even though this is listed as an adapter recommended for Linux and for Ubuntu. So a different adapter is needed. But I have no way of knowing which to try since this one is listed as working fully with Ubuntu when in fact it only half works.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 42 of 44

You could have a play with NDISWrapper, nothing to lose particularly as the Windows drivers seem to work. Have a look here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

0 Ratings
joseph1945
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 44

For my USB adapter tp-link wn822n v3 there are a host of people trying to solve problems on Ubuntu. It is meant to work plug and play. However, different versions work in different versions of Ubuntu. Also, when people update Ubuntu they find it ceases to work, or something else no longer works.

Given it is fragile to use it in Ubuntu, even though I am doing better with it than many, I am going to give up and go back to Windows on my portable.

It is all very well idealistcally supporting Ubuntu, but when there are so many things that do not work well with it, and one spends so much time trying to sort them out, one sees why Windows wins out for so many people.

Thanks for your help and patience.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 44 of 44

It's quite possible that Ubuntu is getting the auto-configuration wrong, but that dosn't mean that you can't reconfigure it properly yourself !

There are what appear to be a couple of obvious configuration errors, from the info you've posted already, which have already been pointed out. Have you tried fixing them manually ?

0 Ratings