cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 44

BT Fon connection on Ubuntu

I am trying to connect with BT Fon on Ubuntu 12.4. I can connect to other wireless connections listed in Network connections, and my own using my key. But the BT Fon appears to connect but my browser says serve not found.

I have looked at endless Google pages on this question and nobody know the answer, or those who say they do have not actually tried it for themselves.

The best I can find out is that BT Fon connection can only be established in Windows, as Windows has a piece of vital software not available to Ubuntu. I can connect to BT Fon on my Windows laptop, so this seems to be correct.

Help would be most appreciated – even if it is to confirm that BT Fon is not possible on Ubuntu.

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 44

Re: BT Fon connection on Ubuntu

I can confirm that it is possible to connect to Bt fon using ubuntu. Have done so with my netbook.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 44

What browser are you using? Firefox works ok
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 44

I am using Firefox. But it sayes the server is not found, check your connection.

But Ubuntu says that BT Fon is connected.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 44

Could you please tell me how you configure this if you use BT Fon on Ubuntu.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 44

No configuration. Just select fon as network, open Firefox, login to Bt WiFi
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 44

Well, that is how it works in Windows. But since Firefox does not recognize any internet connection even though the BT Fon appears to be connected, I cannot log in.

I might mention that I can connect to my wireless router with no problems. On the BT Fon fails to connect.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 44

Very odd. It might be worth trying another browser (chrome). I have to admit I can't actually try it at the moment as I don't possess a home hub and live out in the sticks so none nearby to try. But it definitely worked ok in a holiday cottage last year that didn't have wifi but the neighbour had fon. Can't see that anything should have changed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 44

Any luck? Just had to go round the village so took netbook with me. Picked up a bt wifi signal and connected fine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 44

Well, it is very strange because on the Ubuntu forum it says you cannot connect to BT Fon because only Windows has a special software for it which is not available on Ubuntu. Are you really sure you are connecting to BT Fon and being able to log in? The log in is the bit that counts. I seem to connect bur Firefox says it cannot find the server.

I take it you are not using Ubuntu within Windows or in Virtual Box?

0 Ratings