cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 44

Re: BT Fon connection on Ubuntu

Have to admit I didn't actually try to login this afternoon, but definitely got to the login page. However, I most certainly did log in at the holiday cottage using native Ubuntu 12.04 on the netbook. I have also got a BT wifi app on my android phone (which I confess I haven't used) which is linux so the windows thing seems to bee a bit of a red herring. If I get chance, will try logging in tomorrow. Looks a bit conspicuous sitting outside somebodies house with a netbook!! Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 44

If you have your default WiFi connection set to connect on boot that can stop another WiFi connection.

Try setting the WiFi connect to manual the re-boot.

Smiley Happy

Cheers..

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 44

Thank you, but I do not have any of the possible connections set automatically. I can connect to my normal router wirelessly, but not to BT Fon. I can sellect any of the other connections available and get to being asked for the WEP key for any of them. The single exception is BT Fon.

It is very important that we understand we are talking about Ubuntu here and not Windows. I can connect to BT Fon on my Windows PC. So we know that works. The problem is only on Ubuntu.

On the Ubuntu forum I am told it is not possible to connect to BT Fon in Ubunto because a piece of software is needed which is available only in Windows for the BT Fon wireless connection.

A number of people are saying what I should do, but they have not actually connected to BT Fon on Ubuntu and signed in. So it needs somebody who actually can do this to say it can be done and who is able to actually do it.

But all help gratefully recieved.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 44

OK. Here I am sitting in my car with my Ubuntu 12.04 Netbook connected to BT FON posting this message!

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 44

This is very curious - and very fortunate for you. Could I ask a couple of questions?

What Netbook are you using and did Ubunto come preinstalled? I ask this because nobody apart from you is able to connect to BT Fon with Ubuntu. There must be something different installed on your machine that is making the difference.

It would be a great help to me to know this information.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 44

just an Acer aspire 1 which I put ubuntu on. There is no software involved, it is just a straightforward browser redirect to the Bt WiFi login page. It can't be a Windows thing or Mac users would also have problems. Do you get as far as the Bt WiFi login page? Or does Firefox fail to redirect?
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 44

Well, you are very lucky! I do not get to the Firefox log-in page. When I open firefox it says it has no internet connection. Even if I put in btfon.com it fails to connect to anything. I just get a message generated by Firefox itself saying to check my connection.

I have raised this question on the Ubunto forum and the expert there gets the same result as I do and cannot figure out what is wrong.

There may be some different hardware in your Acre Aspire wireless setup that has addressed this problem.

I have no idea if Mac users have any problem with this. It would be interesting to find out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 44

have you tried a different browser?
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 44

Thank you. I will try a different browser and see what happens. I appreciate you sticking with the problem!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 44

I assume you have checked your Ubuntu network adaptor configuration to verify it is receiving the same IP, Gateway and DNS information as the Windows network adaptor does when it connects to BT Wifi. Does you Ubuntu machine have a built in wireless adaptor or is it a USB adaptor?

0 Ratings