cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Fon on IPhone

Go to solution

Hi - I wondered if anyone can help me.  After much struggling, opting in over and over I finally got BT fon working on my iPhone.  Then today, I downloaded the upgrade.  First thing it does is make me register again (why the upgraded app can't use the same config is a mystery) and then it tells me that "There was a problem registering your details".  It worked fine last week - I was definitely on BT Fon - so why doesn't it work this week?  Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks - 010

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Fon on IPhone

Go to solution

Hi 0104940863492,

Thanks for posting. I'll pass this to our Fon team and see what I can find out. If I get anything I'll post it up.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

It's OK, thanks, David.  There's a bug in the phon app which requires the user's email address to be in alll lower case.  Given that the app automatically sets the first character of the username to upper case this was always going to be a problem!.  I've managed to log in to the app - but I haven't used it in the wild yet.

I tried to post this yesterday in case anyone else was having a problem, but this site takes so long to load (why does it take so long to connect to the lithium server?) that either my server or I got bored.  Tonight I had to wait less than a minute so here I am.

Thanks,

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

"there was a problem registering your details" is all I keep getting when using the btfon app.  I've deleted, reinstalled it but still nothing.  I'm using the email address and password that I log into "my bt" with so what's up?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

make sure your email address is all lower case.  the App automatically makes the first letter a capital (great coding, BT!) so you have to edit it back to a lower case.

You also might have to register with bt fon on the main website - i.e. not through your iphone, but through a proper PC and your router needs to be turned on and it could take a couple of days.

Keep trying, it took me weeks to get it up and running with the previous app.  BT seems to have made this very complicacated for no good reason.  I don't think they really want us BT Broadband subscribers to use it for nothing - they want others to buy the minutes and make money out of it. 

Good luck - and post back whatever the outcome.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
adamjb68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
It makes no difference to me if I use lower case or not. I am still getting the "there was a problem registering your details" message.
However, I can log on manually by selecting the BTFON wifi network and signing in via the landing page.

There is definitely a bug in the iPhone app
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
adamjb68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I've now found a solution.

I called BTFON (08000 223322) and they said there is usually a problem with the app if you're already opted in to BTFON. So the lady at BTFON opted me out and I tried again. Didn't work. Then she suggested that I change the password used to be all lower case. I was sceptical but I changed the password in BTYahoo, the one I log into my btinternet email account. I then opted out of BTFON on the internet and then registered using the iPhone app and, bingo, it worked!

What silly buggers BT are for making a crappy app like this. Oh well, all good now.

0 Ratings