cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fonfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Fon on iPhone4

At last, I have found out how to use BT Fon on my iPhone4!!!

BT Fon seemed like a brilliant service when I downloaded the BT Fon app. I logged in and received an email to say I had opted in. However, I couldn't use the internet on BT Fon or BT Openzone and I have driven myself crazy trying to find out why. Whenever I connected using BT Fon or BT Openzone, my browser asked me to log in again to BT Fon but wouldn't let me connect. I've logged in over and over again to no avail.

Finally, today I had time to visit the BT Fon site and found the video about the BT Fon app for iPhone. I found out that although the BT Fon app says you are logged in, you still have to click on 'Opted in' and 'Agree' to the terms and conditions. So, in effect, you are not logged in at all until you do this. Why is this not made more obvious for users?

Why does BT have to make everything so hellishly complicated?

I see from the Adminstrator's posting about the BT Fon app that I should also be able to connect to my Home Hub, but this does not work. I can see my Home Hub on my iPhone but it is always locked so I cannot wirelessly connect to my own computer and my own Home Hub. I have tried everything I can on the BT Home Hub site but nothing enables me to unlock the Home Hub on my iPhone. I rang BT to ask how to do it, but they wanted me to pay a monthly fee for IT advice on how to unlock it.

Again, it's all unnecessarily complicated and I have to say that my experience of BT over the years is that everything is complicated in this way.

Meanwhile, BT rang me this week to ask if I would like BT Vision. I am thinking about getting a new TV service but the cumbersome way BT sets everything up puts me off.

Please, please sort out BT Fon and make it easier for people to use. I can see from the posts on this Forum that I am not the only person to have had these problems.

If anyone can help me with the Home Hub issue, I'd be eternally grateful. It's completely crazy that I have made my Home Hub available for others to use on BT Fon but I can't connect to it wirelessly myself!!! Come on BT, get this sorted. It's your future as a company that's on the line.

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Malcolm_Herring
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Fon on iPhone4

When at home you don't use Fon for internet access but your personal HH WiFi. That is always locked. You need to put the HomeHub WiFi password into your iPhone. Go to Settings->Wi-Fi and select your hub from the "Choose a Network" list. It should then ask for the password. This is the password on the label at the back of the HH (Wireless WPA key). You should then see the check mark against your HH network name. No further login is required - just start using internet apps.

0 Ratings
Fonfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for your reply.

I am aware that you don't use BT Fon for access to the Home Hub. However, I commented on my Home Hub problems because logging on to the Home Hub via the iPhone was included in the screen grabs put up by Kerry the administrator.

I have gone round and round the procedure you describe, inputting the password which I found on the HH, but to no avail. However, if I take 'WEP password' off in my network preferences on my Mac and have a security setting of 'None', and do the same on my iPhone via the BT Home Hub site, then my iPhone and Home Hub can communicate wirelessly.

However, I cannot leave my Home Hub without any security settings, so that's not a viable option.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

0 Ratings
Malcolm_Herring
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

The next thing to check is whether the WiFi on your hub is OK.

First, do you have any other devices at home that connect via WiFi? If they work OK, then check that they use the same SSID & Password that you were trying on your iPhone.

Are you opted into Fon? If so, can you see the BTFon and BTOpenZone SSID from your hub? Can you connect your iPhone via these, using the BTFon app?

0 Ratings
Swede
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Have you checked that your HH and your Apple toys are using the same security encryption. You can't have WEP at one end and WPA at the other.

0 Ratings
Fonfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Hi Malcolm,

Yes I have checked that my WiFi on my HH is OK. The HH connects with my iPhone when I take off the security settings on both (ie, security is 'None' on both), but obviously I would not wish to use my Home Hub without a WEP or WPA security setting.

I am opted into BT Fon and I can wirelessly connect my computer and iPhone using BT OpenZone. However, my point is that I should be able to connect my Home Hub and iPhone, but however I configure them (and I have gone into this in some depth) I cannot get them to communicate. My iPhone detects my Home Hub, but it is always locked (unless I take off the security settings... see above).

Thanks again for your input. Most gratefully received.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Fonfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Hi Swede,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have checked that my HH and iPhone are using the same security encryption. I found a very helpful explanation of how to do this on FileSaveAs.com. I have tried setting both HH and iPhone to WEP and also to WPA, but neither works. I can get the HH and iPhone to communicate if the security setting on both is 'None', but obviously I can't have my HH on without any security.

I can also get the HH and iPhone to communicate wirelessly by logging into BT Fon and using BT OpenZone.

My point is that BT seems to make these services unneccessarily complex. In my original post I described how difficult I found opting in to BT Fon. BT has not made this easy. I mentioned the HH and iPhone issue to highlight another area that has been made unneccessarily complex and difficult for consumers.

It's BT's loss. At the end of the day, consumers will use providers whose services they find easy to use. I want to upgrade my TV services soon, but I'm unlikely to buy into BT Vision because my experience of BT's services, such as BT Fon, is that they are difficult to use. It's a shame because BT Fon is a great idea and a great service once you find out how to log in permanently.

Thanks again for your comment.

0 Ratings
acthedruid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Hi.

It looks to me like you have 1 of 2 problems.

1/ You are not entering the password correctly on the iphone. Remember the shift key is not shift lock so you have to press it before each capital.

2/ The default password has been changed and you are entering the wrong one.

From my experiance with the HH1&2 connecting various wireless devices is simple as long as you have the correct password and enter it correctly.

0 Ratings
Fonfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Thanks for your reply acthedruid.

I am entering the correct password. I know this because if I set my security settings on both my Mac and iPhone to 'None' instead of 'WEP', they can communicate wirelessly just fine. But, obviously, I can't use them without security settings.

0 Ratings
uncledodo
Message 10 of 12

I have subscribed to Bt FON, but it will not let me log in on my iphone 4.. i have tried on numerous occasions and u please help!!

0 Ratings