Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul1360
Expert
Message 1 of 11

BT Gears up 300Mbps Broadband

Whatever next lol, bet it will come at a price lol

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/bt-gears-up-300mbps-broadband-super-fast-home-hub-5-50011677/

iechyd da

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
nabber68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Gears up 300Mbps Broadband

@Paul1360 wrote:

Whatever next lol, bet it will come at a price lol

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/bt-gears-up-300mbps-broadband-super-fast-home-hub-5-50011677/

iechyd da

Or... You can't get BT infinity at the moment sir, but if you move to use we will provide you with a faster ADSL connection than your current provider!!

Me: But I haven't told you who my current provider is!

BT: Doesn't matter sir the connection will still be better!

Yeah, right better meaning £10 a month more than my current provider!

Come on BT your sales advisors are completely ripping the proverbial, how about being honest straight forward and above all accurate that would be a good start for customers looking to give you business!

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

Can't believe they announce the Home Hub 5 the day after I order a Home Hub 4 😞

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=89E546D4-A694-4164-96ED-AF49C91E40FE
0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

The one thing I can't see on the press release is when it will be available. I've got to get this as my paltry 160mb service is starting to feel a bit dated! 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
wibbly
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

So what applications would I put a 320Mbps service to? I guess I'd need wired Gig Ethernet to get it past the router. Would WiFi cut that kind of throughput (even dual band)? And presumably Homeplug is a non-starter for all practical purposes.

So maybe some app on a direct wired and fast PC? And I could download stuff 'even quicker' (assuming the 'other end' could offer me similar throughput, of course).

The application ideas for this internet speed for the home seem still to emerge, or have i missed something? Only P2P file sharing comes to mind, where I could, in effect, aggregate and simiultaneoulsly staturate more slower speed sources for my download. I'm sure the applications will come, but it does seem all a bit of 'willy waving' for the meantime... and basically mean file leachers can get their stuff more quickly...

?

0 Ratings
grumpygrandad
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Lucky you.

Try an Infinity 6 mgbs service!

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

802.11ac will transport 433Mbps over WiFi.

As for applications, the only obvious one on the horizon is 4K / 8K TV. But the broadcasters need to get their heads around ditching traditional broadcast platforms in favour of multicast over Superfast broadband, and I think that is some time away yet.
0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

As far as I'm aware, the current platform does now support fibre and copper multicast, however I'm not aware that BT have productised thiis in any way at the moment

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
wibbly
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Ok, so I'd have to migrate to 802.11ac for devices that need to exploit this (unless I want wires)

A 4K/8K TV could maybe be wired over Gig E anyway.

So as a companion for 4K/8K TV in the future, this makes sense.

For punters in the meantime, £50 a month willy waving down the pub 😉

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

Dcullum,

What do you think the new BT Sport & extra channels over BT Infinity are using. 😉

Google BT TV Connect, there is a SIN that describes the 'productised' service that has been retailed for some months now.
0 Ratings